Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I'm not an expert on the 4WS system by any means, but this to me doesn't look right:

Now, I have no idea how this could've happened. I guess the u-joint could've let go, or when the gas tank was put in this was broken. :shrug:

Is this repairable? Can just this section of the shaft be purchased, or do I need a whole new shaft from rack to rack? I'm hoping that someone on here might have a spare they'd be willing to part with... :jump:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the culprit...

Looks like the rear rack locked up at some point and this u-joint snapped when the car was steering. I was quite pleased to be able to get just this out of the car. Taking it to a machine shop to see about getting a new setup made (whatever the cost, its cheaper than buying a new shaft).

·
Registered
564 Posts
could always trying to find a joint at like tractor supply, granted it might not fit 100% but its worth a shot checking out before going to the machinist route

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by local machine shops that they can't get anything this small due to liability issues with steering components. :(

I haven't had a chance yet to start looking at steering shafts from other vehicles to see if I can find anything. It's a tiny u-joint, about 1" across, if that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts