Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '93 MX-6LS has developed a strange electrical problem. The airbag light started flashing (code 32), the horn stopped working, and the cruise control won't turn on. These are all functions connected to the steering wheel. A friend suggested I might have a broken steering column grounding strap, but I can't find one. All the fuses are OK. Everything else works. Any Ideas?

· Registered
3,105 Posts
One idea: possible defective clockspring(s) in the steering wheel assembly.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
I would wrip the entire steering wheel and column apart and just recheck all of the connections. It's possible that the steering wheel gyro got messed up or somwthing. Also, trace the wires all the way underneath the dash and make sure that the wire harness has not disconnected.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clockspring mechanism

Good call by Mike 94PGT. It was indeed the clockspring mechanism. I didn't want to get involved tearing apart the airbag and steering column, so my local Mazda mechanic got some work. Found a used part. Total cost was ~$375.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.