Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turing my steering wheel from lock to lock, while stopped, I can feel the play in the steering wheel in the brake pedal as a light tap. Under hard braking, I am also getting some vibration. I've already planned on replacing the Inner and outer tierod ends this next paycheck. Is there something else down there I should look at or tighten? A u-joint or mounting plate?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i would say check your brake discs if you have vibrations under hard braking. there could be a little warp on them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
if your tie rod ends are worn out, and you have some warpage in the rotors, you will feel it in the brake pedal and in the wheel. it will feel like someone is hitting the tire with a hammer, since there is play in the middle, you only feel when it hits the end of its play.

check your tie rod ends for play and fubar'd boots

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I explained it right. If I am sitting still, when I turn the wheel back and forth, that's when it feels like something is banging around on or near the firewall that I can feel in the pedal (exactly when the steering wheel meets the end of the play in it, not the end of the range of motion of the steering system itself),

As far as durring braking, I believe it has more to do with the tierods and not the rotors. The rotors were new in August, and even the previous ones with more than 2 years of use on them didn't shudder when I had them.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i think i need to change my right outer tie rod...let me know how easy it is...but it sounds like you're on the right track. i get a clunking noise sometimes out of the right side during turns and going over large speedbumps or changes in terrain.

·
Registered
447 Posts
if you say you feel something on the firewall, then perhaps look on the firewall for something loose? i know i sound like an ass when i say that, but just to make sure you've considered it. that being said, i'd check your steering rack bushings/mounts as well as the swaybar mounts/bushings for play or loose bolts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have the same thing going on. When stopped, you can feel it in the brake pedal. Kind of like the u-joint is rubbing the pedal assembly..

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
could be that the u-joint in the steering rack when bad and/or steering rack has loosened from the firewall. i still need to get mine on a rack to verify that this is going on with mine. because I hear mine outside AND in the firewall at the same time...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RickPerryGT said:
if you say you feel something on the firewall, then perhaps look on the firewall for something loose? i know i sound like an ass when i say that, but just to make sure you've considered it. that being said, i'd check your steering rack bushings/mounts as well as the swaybar mounts/bushings for play or loose bolts
It's really hard for a portly man to get under there and see without use of a lift, so I was hoping somone had experience in the area. Who has a manual that can scan? I remember someone used to have a webste up but I can't remember who.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I would first check the tie rod ends and inner tie rods for play. Also might want to consider ball joints. Hopefully it is not a problem with the steering rack.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
magik8 said:
I would first check the tie rod ends and inner tie rods for play. Also might want to consider ball joints. Hopefully it is not a problem with the steering rack.
I"m definitely going to order new inner and outter ends. 197k on the clock I figure I'm lucky they haven't completley dissovled already. Is there a steering rack bushing or mount bushings? I've looked at the steering gear while someones bounced the steering wheel back and forth, and I couldn't see any play in the tie rods, which makes me think it is either the u-joints in the steering shaft, the gears in the rack, or dead fluid in the rack. Is there a spot near the firewall where the steering shaft attaches as a support point?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
HotRodMex said:
I don't think I explained it right. If I am sitting still, when I turn the wheel back and forth, that's when it feels like something is banging around on or near the firewall that I can feel in the pedal (exactly when the steering wheel meets the end of the play in it, not the end of the range of motion of the steering system itself),
check your upper strut mounts... when i turn my wheel lock to lock at a stop, i can hear a banging.... well.. i could until i changed the mounts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AdderMk2 said:
check your upper strut mounts... when i turn my wheel lock to lock at a stop, i can hear a banging.... well.. i could until i changed the mounts
The mounts were fine when I removed them (10k on NOS mounts to camber plates), and it has been doing this for a while. And it's not lock to lock, just in testing the play in the wheel.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Is the steering wheel feel the same from lock to lock? it doesnt get particularly hard or soft quickly(i understand that the further you turn it could get harder to turn)

To me it sounds like it could be nearly anything in the steering system, but more or less related to the column/rack and where they meet and since the rack and column are both directly and indirectly bolted to the firewall, you'll feel it in the brake pedeal. you might be feeling the play of an inner tie rod, or you might have developed play in the U-joint. I had to replace the Ujoint on my mx6 at 161k, it wasnt too hard at all. Take out your drivers seat and lay on your back with your lower dash panel removed, watch the Ujoint and wiggle the wheel...thats how i found out mine was the culprit.

Edit: i found mine was a problem after 3/4 of a steering wheel revolution, wiggling didnt do squat :)

-Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts