Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am the new owner of a 93 mx-6 ls and im having a problem. on the highway, once i get up to 55/60, the steering wheel starts shaking like a bastard. i figured it to be a tire balance/alignment problem, but ive taken it in twice to have all four tires balanced and the front end aligned, yet the problem still persists. also, when i turn the wheel hard to the right and accelerate slowly, i hear a strange thump sound. i was wondering if first, these two problems are related, and second, if has anything to do with the after market wheel(15 inch) and tires the other owner put on. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Replace a Ball-Joint and an Endlink

Have your ball-joints checked this is the most likely and would give you the most vibration at highway speed, as for the thump it's a front swaybar endlink you need to replace one of them depending on which side the thump is comming from. Other than this check tierod-ends and for a bent rim.. My bet is on the Ball-Joint... There's proablly a good bit of play in it.. Crappy thing is that Mazda sells the ball joint only with the control arm assembly which is about $325CND but you can have an aftermarket one for $40CDN pressed into the old control arm...

I had those exact two problems and it was a ball-joint and endlink.

G'Luck

[Edited by shawnn on 02-12-2001 at 09:09 PM]

G

·
The guy above me is right had the same problem wheel bearing and CV joint....the wheel bearing was 500.00 to fix and the CV joint wasn't much less. Don't let it go too long or you'll be replacing a lot more. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heathz said:
The guy above me is right had the same problem wheel bearing and CV joint....the wheel bearing was 500.00 to fix and the CV joint wasn't much less. Don't let it go too long or you'll be replacing a lot more. Good luck!!!

The wheel bearings aren't even $100 each.. I think the front bearings are some where areoun $70CDN each roughly... as for Drive axels they're 150 for oe replacement new and $80CDN oe replacement rebuilt with cores....

Dems da facts...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahahah

well, i feel stupid, here i am about to buy new cv joints and bearings, when my friend asks, hey, how about switching the front wheels with the bqack wheels......and the goddamn vibration is gone, turns out i have a very small bend in one of my wheels and because it was connected to the steering system, it was causing vibreations.

G

·
Geez Shawnn, maybe I should have had you around when I replaced these-I was way over charged!!!

And to Ztriumph---dowe!! some things are just simplier than we try to make them, and it was pretty inexpensive!!! Lucky you!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yep, unfortunately Heathz you where way over charged.. Hopefully this message board will give you the info you need to save money and help keep your mechanic straight in the future. Ztriumph so you have no vibration at all no that you've moved your rim to the back? Thats good, I too had a severly bent rim and had it moved to the back and I found it helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts