Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was diagnosing my car and checking out the malfunction codes. I disconnected the negative battery cable to clear the codes, but after I hooked everything back up my stereo is no longer functioning!
It now just displays the word "HELP" and won't do anything besides take a CD in and let me eject it back out. I can't even turn the power off. It is aftermarket, the brand is Eclipse, and I bought the car used so I have no documentation on it.
Help! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

~Phil

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sounds like it has secuity coding. If you don't know the code you will need to contact Eclispe to get the code or check if it's written on the stereo somewhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Try contacting the previous owner, most likely he/she will know what the code is or as Silver said contact the company. I am almost positive that is your problem.
Many head units have that stupid security feature where if the power is disconected, you have to enter a security password to use it again. I think it is retarded, if some guy steals my head unit it doesn't make any difference to me if he is able to use it or not. It's not like he is going to return it to me and tell me it isn't working.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the theory is...

The whole idea is not so that they can't use the stereo after they get it. It's to keep them from stealing it b/c of not being able to use it. However, I do agree with you. This concept would only work if the companies advertised and if the owner announces it somewhere on his car. Most of the stock stereo's with a "coded" head unit usually have a small sticker placed in the corner of the two front door windows. Just a thought......

Rob

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
that is eclipse ESN security, not to burst your bubble or anything,
but you will need the key cd to unlock it!!! The key cd is the cd that was intially put into the stereo. Usually Eclipse will not help you on this matter ( I used to sell their stuff in my shop) , so if you cant get ahold of the original owner, you can try to contact Eclipse but you will probably have to break out some pretty sturdy kneepads!!!

-Scuba-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts