Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy at work with a GC that''s having some issues. There is a loud knocking/clicking noise coming from his driver side front wheel, and it seems to appear everytime he turns the wheel at an incline or something and when he breaks. I think is the arm on the leaf suspension, or one of the bushings, but Ive never worked/looked at a GC...or an american car for that matter.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
well theres his problem.. someone put leaf springs in the front! get those outta there!

lol.

which truck exactly is it? year, etc.

anyways - one of the common problems for ZJs (93-98 grand cherokees) is the steering stabilizer/tie rod bars. best way to diagnose is to just get under and wiggle them.. if the tie rod ends squish too easily or are ripped/have leaked grease all over.. they need replacement.

another problem is the steering box itself in earlier models, but that would be accompanied by very very bad steering control.

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, he's steering is fine. It's just that noise. I'll check on the steering stabilizers and the tie rods liek you mentioned. And remove the leaf springs from the front:lol:

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
also - don't forget the old standby - bad CV joints

other possibilities can be the ujoints on the drive shaft, where it enters the transfer case (front drive shaft - i'm assuming its a 4wd model)

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^It is not an AWD model for all I can remember. He was supposed to be here (work) today but he left early, way before I arrived.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
My vote goes for tie rod, u joint or CV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts