Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idel is supposed to be 750rpms...
but for some reason it hangs around 1200-1400rpms. its seems to work fine and somtimes when im at a stop.. the idle will be high, I then just tap the gas to give it a little nudge.. and it will go up, then down to about 1100 and then slowly fall down to the proper 750rpm.. this problem seems to have become more frequent as of lately. any thoughts??

lates...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lube the throttle with some wd40 or something else. It's probably a bit rusty. It's located at the back of the engine on the driver's side. Have someone rev the engine and you'll notice the throttle when it moves.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just spoke to my mechanic about this problem, and I am going to get it taken care of on Wed. So I will let you know how it goes. But he actually showed me the problem. He removed the air intake to show me the inside of the throttle body, and it was obvious that it had a large amount of carbon build-up. He is going to clean the whole thing out, then send some fuel injector cleaner through one of the vacume hoses. He said that the carbon was basically keeping the throttle body from closing all of the way. It is about an hour or two worth of work. I hope that this helps

·
Registered
108 Posts
i had the exact same problem. took it to the dealer and $75.00(CDN) later I had a perfect idle. all they did was "set idle to spec". no intake cleaner or running stuff through a vacuum hose. it's quite a complicated process to properly set the idle on these engines.

when it comes to things like idle and ignition work i ALWAYS take it to the dealer. sure they charge a little more, but they know their engines best.

best of luck.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
ok then one question when i first start my car no matter wut the weather conditions it is at just under 1500 rpm then after driving its idles at like 750 so is the initial idle ok???? cuz it does drop to 750 once i put it in reverse to take it out of the garage.

thanxXO

·
Registered
150 Posts
MAN!!! this happen to my car too, but dunno how to slove the probelm.. and not just that using more lot more gas, the best only can go up to 250 miles, in local only from 190 to 210 for filled up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok I just got my car back, and the idle is perfect. There were two things wrong with it. First, there was the carbon buildup on the Throttle Body Door in the air intake (which was cleaned), but the big problem was the cable running from the cruise control to the throttle needed adjusting. Now it runs great. I was told that the cruise conrtol cable can easily be knocked out of wack when changing the air filter since it is mounted right next to it.
Hope eveyone has good luck with theirs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts