Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if this is the right Forum, but none of the others seemed right, so here it is. I have a sticking Ebrake...and I need to get it fixed in order to get my car to pass inspections. It used to only do it the couple times my car was sitting for a couple weeks without moving (during clutch installation, etc) and I would just need to get under my car and pry it open, and then it would move freely again. But now it sticks everytime it is engaged, and I have to get under there and take a screwdriver to it. My passenger side does it worse. I can see the part that is sticking, I just dont know how I would go about fixing it. The Ebrake Cable goes from the Ebrake handle (obviously) to the back of the car. Where the Ebrake Cable hooks up to the calipers, is the part that is sticking. Anyone know what I would need to buy to fix this, or if its an easy fix or not, and how much it will cost?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Well should have been just under the general forum but when mine car did this I sprayed the crap out of it with WD 40 about 2 times a day for 2 days and then it didn't stick anymore

·
Registered
527 Posts
i had the same problem...fixed the problem with wd40 as well...you have to think that average a 10 year old car sometimes need a little bit of lubrication here and there...doors,sunroof,trunk,hood any moving parts...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
toxicmx6 said:
i had the same problem...fixed the problem with wd40 as well...you have to think that average a 10 year old car sometimes need a little bit of lubrication here and there...doors,sunroof,trunk,hood any moving parts...
I tried WD-40 (or something similar anyway) and it didnt work. I guess I didnt use enough. I only tried it once. I guess Im going to take my back wheels off, and disconnect the Ebrake Cable and spray the hell out of it with WD-40 and try and work it back and forth, and see if it cant break lose and stop sticking. If this doesnt work, ill let everyone know. Anymore suggestions, and keep posting. I just didnt want to have to buy new Calipers because I remember reading a while back that its a common problem, and thats the only way to fix it :-\

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I just stuck my head under the tire and did it.....Basically just spray the hell out of it and then ebrake and disengage, repeat 5 or 6 times and reapply WD 40, do this twice a day for 2 days and it should help.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Yeah, but I dont drive my car right now so It would be easier to just take off the back wheels and disconnect the cable, because its a real PITA to get the ebrake to disengage with the back wheels on. Ive had to do it atleast 10 times, so I can imagine trying to engange/disengage the ebrake over and over many times in a short period of time would be a hassle, and probably get me pretty aggravated. Ill definately follow you guys advice though. Thanks

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It's rather easy to disengage the ebrake just by getting under the back of the car, and using a pair of channel-locks, for example. I just did this the other day to a dead Probe with a fully-stuck ebrake.

My suggestion would be to start with the WD40 trick mentioned above. But, don't rely on WD40 to keep it lubricated... WD washes off too easy, and is way too light of an oil for the high temperatures a brake sees. So, after freeing it, pack some brake grease into the pivot areas by hand, and keep working it in. If you do this right, you can keep the joint well lubricated much longer. I did this almost 6 years ago and have never had an issue since doing this. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Well, with mine its like a hook that the cable is on and all you have to do is reach underneath the tire to disengage it. I never disconnected the cable either as well since its got some rust on it..... also make sure to spray alot on haha once done it shouldn't stick when you go back to engage and disengage it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
it happened to my car, I just unhooked the cable while the spring was cramped. If the other e-brake works, you're golden. most likely your right rear caliper siezed (i think the weather favors that side for some reason)
WD will not last since calipers can get way flippin hot. You need the brake lube stuff. other than that, I would suggest you look into the protoge caliper upgrade in the howto section if you want to find a nice permanent fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
take a big hammer n put a piece of wood on ur wheel nuts and giver a good smash make sure its on the nuts and not the rim otherwise it will crack maybe thatll fix it ... it did mine

·
Registered
397 Posts
This may not be your problem, but mine was sticking and the spring which releases the caliper fell off the bottom of the caliper. Correct me if I'm wrong but This is what is attached to the e-brake cable which releases our caliper pistons when we disengage the E-brake. Every time I pulled my E-brake, my caliper wouldn't release until I'd climb under there like you and pry it loose. I hate to spend over $65 on a new caliper b/c of a tiny spring. Needless to say i finally found one @ a junk yard. Just check to make sure this isn't you're problem.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
^^ i bet some money on that being the problem (except the spring is rusted tight)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AAlonzo said:
^^ i bet some money on that being the problem (except the spring is rusted tight)
I think you both might be right. I dont know though. I need to get under there again and look at it. It could just be siezing due to what that website said, or the spring could be at fault. Ill let everyone know though, as soon as I can get a day off from work (probably tuesday) im gonna get under there and see whats going on with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts