Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight i went and bought a brand new 95 disty for my mx6.Well put it in and still no start.What could cause this?I check the plug it has voltage on both connectors.Im lost on what to do.What to check?
Is there any wires anywhere besides the ones for the disty that have anything to do with spark?Are there any special fuses?I havent had a car for well over a week and a half.I installed ZE cams and now have no spark.
Please help

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello
Have you checked through all the electrical connections/wiring harness to the distributor. I suspect wiring problems since there is no output from a brand new distributor if everething else is in good standing to produce a spark.
Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you have a multimeter check to see if your getting a signal from the ECU side. unplug the harness (this is on the 6 pin) and test the pin closest to the firewall (i believe, someone correct me if im wrong.. fastest.) turn the key to run or on. if you dont get a signal then it might be your compy.

but seeing as your car ran before and not now i dont know why it would be that.

then again.. i could be a total noob and be completely wrong. ill take the flames.

isn't there another cam sensor besides the one in the disty?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
ok, i'm going to have a stab at the the following, only because you mention the fact you have just swapped out you original cams for ZE one's ... take the dizzy cap off, and either have a friend turn the car over whilst you ensure the rotor arm is spinning, or crank it a few times and see if its still in the same place .... This is the only logical thing i can think of if it was workng before the cam swap, as the two parts are connected. I am also assuming you bought the new dizzy due to a none starter after installing the cams.

Oddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it true if the crankshaft position sensor fails that the car would not spark?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Oddball said:
ok, i'm going to have a stab at the the following, only because you mention the fact you have just swapped out you original cams for ZE one's ... take the dizzy cap off, and either have a friend turn the car over whilst you ensure the rotor arm is spinning, or crank it a few times and see if its still in the same place .... This is the only logical thing i can think of if it was workng before the cam swap, as the two parts are connected. I am also assuming you bought the new dizzy due to a none starter after installing the cams.

Oddy.
It has to spin if it is in there, it's a solid shaft on a worm gear :)

You're sure the rotor is pointing at number one? I am starting to think you installed the cam gears wrong and the timing is either 45, 60 0r 90 degrees off. It's a very common mistake.

-Andrew

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but incorrect timing would not make absolutely no spark correct?

I have NO spark none notta nothing!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so I got spark now!!!! WOOT WOOt
But still doesnt sound like it wants to start could it be too flooded to start? or can my crankshaft even though i lined it up perf i heard it can be 180 degrees off would that cause it not to sound like it wants to start i guess without compression at spark it wouldnt burn gas right?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The simplest test for 180 out is to place smoke/fog or some visible gas in front of the intake. If the gas moves in the intake, you're not 180 out. This test does not always work, but it's an easy starter.

180 out sounds perfectly fine, but refuses to start. It's also very difficult to achieve if you look at the TDC mark on the crank sprocket. If that's lined up, you are at TDC. After that, it's a simple matter of aligning the cam sprockets. One tooth off, and the car may not start. It's a 2:1, keep that in mind.

-Andrew

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well what if the car has no sounding like it wants to start but there is spark? any idea?I have no codes at all

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same problem .. I bought a new disty, installed, got spark but never started. I was led to believe my timing belt was broken, but it turned out my timing was off. The mechanics had adjusted the rotor to what it was at before I had changed it. It took a lot of trial and error but it worked. Keep on adjusting the rotor till you figure it out.

Or if you know what position the rotor was at before it was removed and if put back into place, your car should be up and running

Regards

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it doesnt even sound like it wants to start.also the rotor only will go on one way.wonder if the cams can cause this

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok again as i previously said the cam gear were Never removed they are ECAXTLY the way they came out of a running ZE motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
when i got my new disty (i have a 96) it didnt start right away but i got spark. i had to take out each spark plug and clean them because they were definitely fouled (but brand new) I kept trying to start the car and it was flooded and sat there... so try that. it might be that simple, man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.