Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was on my way to school Friday, when i see a kid i really hate in his 944 riding my arse. Thats about all he could do until the lane went double. Well after about 9-10 minutes off riding my cars ass, the lane went two wide. Both of us worked our way through traffic til we got in front of the pack, we were about to have a rolling start (even better for me) when the light ahead went red, BOOYAAAA! REAL RACE. I look over, and what do i see in the passanger seat? His girl friend! NOT ONLY AM I GOING KICK HIS CAR IN THE BALLS, IM GOING TO DO IT IN FRONT OF HIS WOMAN!! Well i put "STATIC-X" on the sterio to put me in the mood, rev a few times, jump a few times. The light was taking forever, i was about to start a big ol smokey burnout, when i see the opposite light go yellow. HERE WE GO! Put my baby in gear pushed the gas and brake with the same foot to bring up revs. Light goes green, and were off, he was at my door by the end of first. Then my favorite gear came. 2ND! I took my sweetie up to 50 in second and the poor porsche was as good as dead, about 4-5 car lengths. Third well we just made my great lead better. I pulled into the parking lot and went toward class, i see them at my car looking it over. BOOOYAAAAA THATL TEACH YOU TO BUY A PORSCHE!!!!!!!!!!! or at least a 944

Check out my pages

http://home.off-road.com/~hinrichb
http://lahs.losalamos.k12.nm.us/~hinrichb

·
Registered
449 Posts
Calling your bluff

Tell me - was the 944 missing on two of its cylinders? There's absolutely no way to win. The car's got 208HP during the '91 model year and 188HP in '88. The DX has a power to weight ratio of about 23lbs/hp w/o driver. The 188HP 944 has about 18lbs/hp with two people in it! If someone else can attest to your claim then I'll believe it.

Either he let you win, was a crappy driver or had a drivetrain malfunction. Good fiction story though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Maybe it was a 924.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Check your sources on what engines were equipped on the 944. Only the 88 and 89 model years had a turbo engine which was 217HP as an Option. The most shitty-ass engine the 944 had was 188HP (non-Turbo) which was in 1988 and 89. From 1990 to 1991 a 3L I4 was the only engine option rated at 207HP.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anyway

I'll shutup about this, I'm prolly just pissed cuz I can't beat a snail with my DX.

Good kill, especially in front of his girl!

No hard feelings I hope........:cool:?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The 914 was Porsche's biggest mistake. More VW than porsche. Air cooled engine POS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
914's suck

I agree, they are ugly too, They are only so popular cuz they were cheap. You ever noticed how the Boxter resembles it quite a bit. I love the Boxter, just pointing out that it looks like a more up to date version, just larger and better. They look quite similar though.

G

·
0 Posts
What's the stock DX rate in HP and Torque? I have a feeling that there is NO WAY a STOCK DX is going to beat a 944! The only way possible is if this 944 is running CRAPPY, and the driver sucks as well! I'm sorry to not believe you, but for some reason it just does not seem like it could be true! If it is, then major kudos to you, you killed a Porsche with your DX.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAMNIT

According to PORSCHE.COM the OFFICIAL PAGE FOR PORSCHE! The 944 that i raced, had 150bhp. the car also weighs more than mine, due to the fact that my car has absolutely nothing on it. If you dont think that weight makes a difference, check out the popular mechanics article, where they raced a top of the line camaro vx. a bottom of the line fire bird. The fire bird weighed less due to the fact that it didnt have any options. And of course the fire bird won. Belive me. I know how to race my car. It is possible that the guy wasnt driving very well, but one thing is for DAMN sure, I KNOW HOW TO RACE MY CAR. It has become an art for me. Please dont treat me like a dumbass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my web pages

·
Registered
332 Posts
Weight ratio

If the 944 weights in at 3,500 lbs or more thant the weight ratio was in your favor. I guess it is possible. I'm going by the DX having 115HP and weigtiing about 2,650. Giveing you 23.04lbs to each horse.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This is the last thing i'm going to post on this subject.

110HP (at the flywheel, gross) is not the SAE Net figure for the DX it's 97HP (at the wheels, net). The HP figure YZF-R1 gave was the SAE Net (at the wheels). The power figures I gave were gross. Yes, I know the Porsche is heavier. I know that weight has to do with it that's why I chose power to weight ratios to compare the cars.

944 (3500 with 2 200lbs people), 150HP = 23.3lbs/hp
DX (2650 with no one), 97HP = 27.3lbs/hp

SAE Net HP figures.

DX torque is 130 @ 2500RPM, gross.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Heavy Girlfriend!!

I'm with you. Just cracking a joke here. You said 3,500 lbs including 2 people at 200lbs each. If I remember correctly, this race was with some guy you don't like and his girlfriend.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ummm where did i say that that was the wheel power? according to the page a stock 2.4 liter has 150 horses AT THE CRANK! This arguement is like a situation my friend is in. He has a 93 dakota 4x2 with the 318 he uses as a hot rod. His friend has a 99 dakota r/t ext cab. Now according to your philosophies, the 99 r/t would win wouldnt it? Well actually no, as a matter of fact the 318 blew the doors off the r/t. His situation is the same as mine. His truck is older and has a smaller motor, there for people think the r/t is faster. But the 93 dak is way faster. Numbers dont always tell the truth. His 318 had 200 horses stock, thats about prelude level right? well since you guys like numbers soo much you think that the prelude will keep up, but fact is the truck will be gone before the prelude knew it, and the thing probably weighs twice as much as the prelude.

In a similar way, my car doesnt have as much power, its not as "nice" but it is lighter, and i am a driver that sure as HELL knows what im doing. " OH BUT NUMBERS SAY THIS" well NUMBERS CAN KISS MY ASS. i walked the 944, weather you belive me or not i dont give a rats ass anymore. You guys need to understand that "pretty" and "new" and "more power" doesnt always mean the best.

[Edited by YZF-R1 on 09-24-2000 at 10:40 PM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
whoooaaahhhhh Settle down Hoss!

I can surely see why a lot of people don't believe you and your Porsche story.

I hope you are telling the truth.

Numbers do tell a lot. One important number that everyone is talking about is Horsepower. Lots of people forget torque. As torque is very important.

Let's take the Honda S 2000 motor for example. 2.0 liter, 240 Hp @ 8300 rpms, and 153 ft/lbs torque at 7500rpm.

With only 153 ft/lbs of torque, especially at such high rpms, you'd PROBABLY notice a difference in 1/4 mile times if you put ONLY 50lbs in the trunk!!

That 240hp is completely different than 200hp from a V6. I hate to use Honda as an example, but anyway, take the Accord's 200hp V6, 200hp at 5500rpms, 195ft/lbs @4700rpms. You could carry your 2 200lbs friends with you, and you ain't going to notice a real significant difference in your 1/4 mile times.

What a lot of car companies advertise is peak horsepower cause it sounds good. High hp and low torque doesn't mean that much.

If you don't think the numbers mean much, think again. Look at a diesel vs gasoline motor.

6.8 L Ford V10 310 hp @4250rpm with 425 ft/lbs at 3500rpm

7.3 L Ford Diesel 250 hp @ 2700 rpm, with 500 FT/LBS @ 1600RPMS!!!

The 6.8 would outrun the 7.3, but the 7.3 would kill the 6.8 in a tug-a-war.

I used those 2 motors as an example, cause they are close to the same size, however, notice what a difference there is in power. I also used a gas vs diesel because most people have ridden in diesel powered vehicles, and know how "slow" they are, but how powerful they are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt say that numbers were not important, im saying that people on this board are in favor of the car with more power, even if its only 1 hp. If they see that somthing has more power, they automaticly assume that its better, they dont take into account some of the bigger issues, like weight, and tranny. What im saying about the numbers, is they dont tell you the whole story. According to numbers, my friends dakota 318 (200 hp), and a prelude (200 hp)should be dead even. But in the REAL WORLD the dakota will completely walk the prelude.

Or my friends dak vs. a dakota R/T. According to numbers the r/t is better, but the older dak is way lighter. THe older dak blows the doors off the r/t all day long.

Then theres my car, much lighter than the porsche, (2500 according to the landfill). Not as much power, but still, i won. please try to understand that races dont come down to the numbers, all the time. It comes down to real world factors that no calculator will figure out for you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
944 turbo 86vs MX6GT 91.

well seems we have a large assortment of kills here.straight up the 944 turbos are good 4 what they are but if i had to choose between a 14,500 car and a 50,000 car i would sure hope the 50g car would kick the others ass. but as personal experience has it, thats not the case with the mx6gt 91(mine)vs 944 turbo 86 model(my friends/bosses/race drivers car). they did come out in 1985 and a half as 2.5litre turbos. i have raced one of these babies and stripped down three of them and put them back together. as that is what is required when u r the chief mechanic. i am not a certified mech but i dabble with small block hi-po cars. over here in west australia we race the porsche cup only a small round tho it is highly competitive. my summary is that i raced the road legal version of my drivers car a black 944 turbo with konis shocks max moritz group a chip with deltagate external waste gate with 3 inch s/steel system mandrel bent.now we didnt kill each other dragging but i had the jump on him by a few car lengths but up into 200kmh he stayed with his nose just at my drivers side door.my mx6gt has only a 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust system and a k and n drop in filter. either one of us could explain why the mx6 could stay at pace and why the 944 couldnt out distance it but i think it came down to the cpu in the control module and the fact my ratios differed and that he was carrying a bit of weight. i say kudos to the mx6 but i know the 944 has shit load more potential though at the end of the day 14g and 50 gs well i got good value for money.as for boost i was running 12psi and he 17psi. that brings me to my drag with a geniune mugen honda crx(del sol)1.8vtec.this guy is also a friend and we got curious after the drag with the 944 turbo. he spent 30gs on the engine and suspension combined. mugen cams heads valves the whole engine was from mugen japans catalog basically. now this thing humed along as i took it for a rap myself. it redlined at 9,500rpm before the shift light come on.he had almost no weight in the car as it was tripped out. we set the race side by side from a standing start.we let rip and i mainly spun through to 3rd gear no thanks to cold tyres. well we sat side by side pretty much all the way tho i found i was shifting later into 5th than he was cos his ratios were very short.45 mins later we ran 5 passes and i won 3 of them all passes with a full tank no passengers street tyres and no cops to bother us. as for 5.0 v8 everyone i have come up against i have not beaten but outdistanced. they piss me off and i managed to kill 2 in one race.be very proud gt owners u have a vehicle with good potential and a very strong engine. my engine will be removed soon and it will be reborn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to PORSCHE.COM the OFFICIAL PAGE FOR PORSCHE! The 944 that i raced, had 150bhp. the car also weighs more than mine, due to the fact that my car has absolutely nothing on it. If you dont think that weight makes a difference, check out the popular mechanics article, where they raced a top of the line camaro vx. a bottom of the line fire bird. The fire bird weighed less due to the fact that it didnt have any options. And of course the fire bird won. Belive me. I know how to race my car. It is possible that the guy wasnt driving very well, but one thing is for DAMN sure, I KNOW HOW TO RACE MY CAR. It has become an art for me. Please dont treat me like a dumbass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my web pages

Hi YZFR1,

from your log on you are obviously into bikes too. I ove the R1 great bike.
Well back to the reason I came on here. I need to put a few records straight on the following Porsche models.
Porsche 944 Turbo 1988-1991 250hp 0-60 5.2 secs Max Speed 162mph
Porsche 944 Turbo 1986-1988 217hp 0-60 5.5 secs Max Speed 152mph
Porsche 944 3.0 16v 1989-1991 211hp 0-60 6.0 secs Max Speed 150mph
Porsche 944S 2.5 litre 1987-1989 190hp 0-60 7.5 secs Max Speed 138mph
Porsche 944 2.5 1983-1987 163hp 0-60 7.4 secs Max Speed 139mph

From my experience most of the 944's are no longer satandard and at the least run K&N Filters most have more mods.
I suppose if your MX6 is a 2.5litre you would probably give an early 2.5 a good run up to about 60 then it should start leaving you as the porsche has a lot more mid range torque.
Are you sure this was a 944 not a 924? There are a lot of 924's around with the 944 wheel arch extentions.
Sorry to piss on your parade mate. But felt I had to come over and put matters straight

Cheers
Tom

PS Be careful if you start trying to race 944 Turbo's a lot of them are now pushing well over 350 rear wheel HP and some up to 530 Rear Wheel HP

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
as i read through this or rather skimmed down the page looking at the post dates, something told me someone with a register date of Dec 06 was going to be the one to bump, what a surprise, seriouslt bro teh last time this thing was talked in was five years ago, wow.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
actually Greg it was six years ago:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts