Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this may not as big a deal in other states as it would be for us in Cali, but I wanna know if anyone has ever though about trying to mess with the stock boost controller to yield higher boost levels. It's just a solenoid, so I figure you could have some other form of activation (Hobbs switch) or a resistor simply wired inline with the control wires from the ECU (maybe even a potentimeter for adjustbility. Basically make it so you can have some mild boost control and still keep it looking very stock. Ideas, comments, snide remarks? Discuss...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes you can use the solenoid to control boost. Check this out.

http://www.performanceprobe.com/index2.cgi

Basically the solenoid activate overboost to 11.5 or so psi under ideal conditions. It does this by opening and "bleeding" pressure from the wastegate to achieve higher boost. By wiring it to a 12v source and switch you would be able to manually activate it. By plumbing in a needle vale at that point you would be able to adjust the amount of boost.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you can bleed off the air from the hoses to the wastegate, but I guess I was thinking of something a little more "pro." I'm looking more into the Potentiometer Idea because I'd like the adjustibility-from-the-cockpit type setup. Maybe even a simple switch box with multiple resistors in addition to the POT. C'mon, all you electrical and 1g gurus out there, at least share your opinion on the idea...please?

G

·
Even with the stock boost controller solinoid removed, you won't get past 7.5psi because the wastegate spring opens at that rate.

A simple fix is to get an aftermarket vaccume switching solinoid (I can sell you one for $40 shipped), and plumb that and a grainger (not a bleed valve) valve into between the turbo and wastegate. With care, it could be made to look very stock, yet give you complete flick of a switch boost control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts