Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what horsepower @ the wheels is it good for... has anyone experimented with a bigger turbo and jus left the stocker cooler on their.. be interested to see what no.s it got..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know for a fact a car pushing 156kw ATW with stock intercooler but bigger turbo.

In reality you can push up to 180kw atw with the stock cooler, but it WILL become a restriction.

It will not be the best cooling you could have, and it will pose an airflow restriction also.

It's more the point of how much extra power you could have by replacing it, not how much you could achieve with the stock cooler. Eg- the 180kw could be 195kw with an upgraded cooler.

Pete

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thats up there.. [email protected] is heaps.. what turbo is that if you dont mind saying? boost?

i see what your saying and realise thats only an examle but jus say that is tru... 180-195.. i front-mount costs 700.. thats 700 for 15kw..

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
$700.... nah man, shop around... ebay and stuff.

I know for a fact you can get a supra cooler for less than half that price... but Robbo! I've got the next one!

Anyway, my4isrobs.... I'll have to come over one weekend when you get your FE3 as I'll be looking for ideas for mine :)

Tripharn

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i meant 600 for the cooler with piping 700. same cooler as DMX06's

I think i'll jus use the stock cooler first up and see how it goes.. save the $$ on the cooler and get a bb turbo.

tripharm no worries.. yeah the engine should be happening soon.
Jus going to get a zorst manifold made and put the turbo on.. use 440's inectors..

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yeah just for a note it's not a restriction at anything around 6-9psi but from 12psi above it does get very restrictive. It does work well at cooling air but causes bigger restriction.

It's more end tank problem then core restriction

It your going all out, don't stuff aorund with 2nd hand intercoolers
Go for a full on custom front mounted job. Your just wasting money on a 2nd hand unit when search for out right power.

Tube & fin core is your best bet with the MX-6, a Bar & plate is only good for a similar sized core like the standared one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
although bro i already have my stock one and all the pipiing so why not give it ago.. thanx for the feedback

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It was an F2T...

If you already have the cooler piping done...go for it with your mods, see how far you get, and if you're unhappy, then upgrade the cooler.

Pete

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My plans are to freshen the head, 2nd hand t28 bb, custom manifold, 440cc injectors and use the stock cooler and piping..

It has a microtech, 3" dumper and zorst, fuel reg & ex-pump already.

any advise to what boost i should run considering that set up.. i would be happy with 170kw at fly

using standard 9.2 fe-dohc, i dont really want to rebuild the bottom end.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I'm still learning... but I would think that with compression that high you may find that it would start to ping without really high octane fuel.

I suppose you just put it on the dyno and keep turning up the boost until it starts to ping then lower it a bit.

Tripharn

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
im not too sure what 'thing' you mean, but i 'just slapped on' a t28/t3 from an rb26dett... havent had any problems (HAHA, not really anyway) yet.

lately ive been bouncing off boost cut in every gear besides 1st and its holding up alright.. i've always had an engine blow by problem though.. and it hasnt gotten anyworse since gettin the t28/t3 or whatever it is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lately ive been bouncing off boost cut in every gear besides 1st and its holding up alright.. i've always had an engine blow by problem though.. and it hasnt gotten anyworse since gettin the t28/t3 or whatever it is.
what setup you got.. etc

standard computer at about 13psi is that right

Have you got any dyno no.s

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Xscape has an F2T, so he has the turbo internals and lower compression ratio.

Nobody in Australia, and AFAIK America has run decent boost on an unbuilt FE DOHC.

If this is your plan, I'm assumin you will just run it like this till it blows, and then do a proper rebuild?

You could reliably run around 8-10 psi on a 9.2 compression with GOOD tuning I would gestimate. This would get you around your 150-170kw flywheel mark,maybe more. Please keep in mind I'm speculating here.

But why? If that's your power goal, put that hardware on the F2T, and with management and fuel, and BOOST you'll be making 170-180kw ATW.

In my opinion, the FE is not worth doing unless you do it PROPERLY. By this I define a built bottom end, and big power goals. 200kw ATW +++ at least.

Pete

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
PeterD said:
Xscape has an F2T, so he has the turbo internals and lower compression ratio.

Nobody in Australia, and AFAIK America has run decent boost on an unbuilt FE DOHC.

If this is your plan, I'm assumin you will just run it like this till it blows, and then do a proper rebuild?

You could reliably run around 8-10 psi on a 9.2 compression with GOOD tuning I would gestimate. This would get you around your 150-170kw flywheel mark,maybe more. Please keep in mind I'm speculating here.

But why? If that's your power goal, put that hardware on the F2T, and with management and fuel, and BOOST you'll be making 170-180kw ATW.

In my opinion, the FE is not worth doing unless you do it PROPERLY. By this I define a built bottom end, and big power goals. 200kw ATW +++ at least.

Pete
Yea, my point exactly. That is why I'm going to take my time with mine... if it takes me 2 years, then so be it! But, I'm happy with my 187hp ATW at the moment... but I'm not going to stick the FE3 in unless I'm 99% sure I'll be getting over 300hp ATW. Otherwise, why bother?

Tripharn

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
yep fully understand what your saying man..

the background is that i had a pretty shagged f2 with a t3/4, fmic, microtech, stock injectors, x-pump etc.. it ran 22 psi with a good tune for 6 months. it made [email protected]

when it dropped compression in cylinder 3 it wasnt a big surprise, but i wanted it to go as hard as it could for what life it had left in the high kilometer engine.

i sold the t3/4 and fmic after the engine blew and the f2 has been running n/a for 4 months till i saved up and also decided which way i wanted to go.. rebuild f2t or do an fe3t..

for fe3 rebuild
forgies 950 with rings
shot peened rods 100
performance bearings 168
gaskets 260
turbo 500hp+ 2500
fmic wit piping 700
injectors 680's, rail etc 7-800
springs,keepers vr4's ?

thats 5500 and haven't looked at labour and misc. parts
thats high hp package that everyone would agree..

its lots cheaper going with out the rebuild but yeah lots less hp.

edit:
sorry my point is that i need an engine and soon.. with my engine rebuilders help i can rebuild the f2t for the same money as the fe3t with out the rebuild.. they would have similar hp me thinks.. so which engine is better if they have similar power?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Btw...your last setup blew due to too much boost and stock injectors. I'd dare say with 18psi and more fuel flow, you would of made the same power MUCH more reliably....but anyway.

Well if I was in your position, I would do the following.

I'm assuming your running the F2T in NA form but it is the turbo motor with low compression? Or did you buy an F2 ATMO?

Either way...it will cost you roughly the same to rebuild a FE3 or an F2T so I guess it's a good time to go FE3. You just have the cost of the motor, but you can sell the F2 to recoup some of that.

The figures you give seem ok, I assume you plan to do some labour yourself? Do you have the FE3 already?

I would save money on turbo. Buy a VF22 for around $1000, good for around 190kw ATW max. Or a HKS 2530 second hand for around $1600, will comfortably make around 230-240kw ATW...now talking serious power.

Injectors - 550cc RX7 SV Turbo - $300 (Bolts to standard rail)

Leave the top end standard but don't rev harder than 7k. But you could look at stronger valve springs etc.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Good cheap turbos can be found on www.ebay.com the US seems to be flooded with T3 super 60 turbos ATM.

Capable of over 300hp and more with different wheel sizes...

US Ebay site

Tripharn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts