1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted by SIX:

Standing at the front of your car looking down at the intercooler:

1) both inlet and outlet coming out at a 90 degree angle inline with each other

2) inlet and outlet at a 90 degree angle offset an inch from each other, the lower is closer to the drivers side.

3) inlet and outlet at a 45 degree angle both inline with each other

4) inlet and outlet at a 45 degree angle offset an inch from each other, again the lower is closer to the drivers side

I know the probe intecooler (2?) outlet and inlet are closer tougether then the mazda intercoolers (1) but I have never seen any with 45 degree angled inlet/outlet (3+4) do you remeber if they came of earlier or later 1st g's, were they all F2T's?
How different is the pluming thats used with 3+4 ?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't the 90 degree Inlet/Outlet flow slightly better or doe's the 45 degree pluming make up for the angle of the inlet outlet?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Don't get to thinking that they're drastically different, because they're not. The setup is the same and the piping is in the same orientation but the angles and offset are slightly different. Visually you'd never notice unless you were one of the people buying an HKS kit, getting it home and thinking "WTF, this doesn't fit?"

As said in the previous thread, the changes appear to be MX6 ATX/MTX and Probe ATX/MTX, as well as year specific.

SD6 was with me one day at the local yard and we had three out of the four sitting right in front of us.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ill take a look within the next month, this month we picked up a 91 gt auto 5door 626 Passenger side damage very well maintained low millage motor + drivetrain. A 91 auto probe GT Crushed roof, good block, turbo, trany... A 88 626 gt painted black with a roller, impounded by the cops, failled roadside safety bald tires, no handbrake joyriding kid = car taken of the road and sold to me for 200$. these three are to be parted as soon as we get the MX6's out of the bay.
Also got a couple good deals last month a 5door 88 gt auto in good shape (going back on the road) for 300$ and an 88 mx6 gt Black 5speed, originaly from texas, only 2 years in canada for 550$. The wiring mangled and possessed but the rest is in nice shape.

Going to slap together a liquid to air intercooler similar to Larken's some time this winter, 45degree inlet and outlet could be of use.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Sick, I made an error before when I told you my inlet and outlet were the same. My car is an 89' and it was an auto. The outlet is offset to the driver side a little more, but both inlet and outlet are 90 degrees. So for the 89' auto's, option 2 is the correct choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts