Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I tried a quick hack of mounting 6.5" speakers in the stock mounting cups (5"x7") with some foam to fill the gaps...and well...the results were a total lack of mid-bass....i was expecting it.

So for people who have modified the stock mounting cups did you just make a bracket to make the oval into a circle?

I believe that is at least the 1st step....has any body also tried sealing the back of mounting cup to create a sealed enclosure? I'm not sure how well this would work b/c the enclosure volume would be in the 1L range (judging by the size of the cup) and most 6.5" require 5-10L for a box.

Any ideas?

Doug

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've been using sealed fiberglass enclosures in place of the plastic ovals for about 2 years now. They house the 6.5" woofers from an MB Quart 218.03CX component set and sound awesome. Took a bit of work, but its worth it. As for airspace, generally speaking, less airspace merely requires more power.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much for fiberglass?

So how much did it cost you to get the fiberglass enclosures made?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Cost me $20 - $30 in materials and an all-nighter. They look great and sound even better. I built them at the same time as my kickpanels, which house a Diamond Audio S500S Hex series component set.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haven't worked with fiberglass b4

Hey...i haven't worked with fiberglass b4...and i've heard it's not that easy and require some decent amount of equipment and chemicals. Do you have some web reference for making fiberglass enclosures?

How much do most autosound shops charge to make fiberglass enclosures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts