Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I went to an advanced drivers motorsport course at a local race track. All sorts of people came, heaps of WRXs, 200sx, 300XZ-TT, a Saab Turbo (one guy came in a rented Ford Falcon! - a very pedestrian large family car - what cheek!). The highlight of the line up was this young vietnamese kid (he looked no more than 20 or so) in a bright yellow 355. As all the other drivers pored over the car he sat there coolly showing us his F1 paddles etc. etc.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the MX-6 acquitted itself very well, acheiving lap time of 1.38.01 (the track is Sandown if you're an Aussie). The Ferrari? Best lap of 1.39!!

How you ask? This pussy kid would FLY past us on the straights making a FANTASTIC sound, back off early and meander through corners I was taking at 110kph in the 6 at about 60, then cruise through the chicanes etc until next straight. Then he'd be gone, only to repeat the ritual at the end of the straight!

The worst part about the whole thing would be that you'd be on his tail after the first corner, worrying about smacking into him, then he'd be off again!

It's back to the track next week, I'll try and get my times down some more!

OH. And BTW the 6 placed ahead of 3 of the 4 WRXs, the 300ZX as well as all the others you would expect it to beat!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
hey im from dandy, just outside soundown........post some info on this.....event. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Event?

Not really an event as such. It's a "High Performance Motorsport" day run by the Jim Murcott Driving Centre. Basically they start by sending you out to a wet turn one and get you used to going sideways! This was real hard in the MX as it's so well balanced.

Anyway after that they get you to put your helmets on and then do some timed laps (before ANY instructions)! This is to give you a good idea about how you progress during the day. My timed lap was 1.47 in the morning.

After that you come in and do some theory about picking the best line through 90deg, 180deg, chicane, etc type corners, some stuff on tyres,spin and then it's lunch. After lunch (and a refill of the tank) its back on the track. This time the instructors come out and talk you through the track, turn in points, what gear to select, heel toeing. After another timed lap (1.38.01) its RACE TIME.

They put you in reverse order of the mornings timed lap, which put me in fourth position on the grid I'm embarrassed to say. Two x two lap races are REAL fun!

After that everyones completely buggered and heads off home.

Cost: $220 Aus
Brake pads (bendix ultimate is what i use) and racing fluid ($300), tyres 10% wear maybe?

Fun Factor: one of the best days of my life!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
can i bum aroud and spectate, dont think im upto sliding into coners yet :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ur wiilkommen

Yeah sure.

I'm always willing to make a fool of myself in front of a crowd!

Kickoff at 8am although the action doesn't really happen till 1pm or so.

Handy with a camera? I wouldn't mind getting some shots...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts