Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Shopping for an MX6 and have seen a wide variety out there. Most have either faded paint or small splits in the paint but under the clearcoat (I think). Is this fairly common, or should I relocate from the apparently acidic conditions around Washington DC? Also, do the "white metal" parts on the top of the V6 generally oxidize and look nasty, or have I only seen cars that were not taken care of?
TIA

·
Registered
123 Posts
The paint is known to fade and the pits are from road salt/sand. Unless the car was really well cared for you'll pretty much find some pits in the finish.. Remember your buying a used car, it has been used. ;)

G'Luck

·
Registered
921 Posts
i heard that the green mx6s seem to oxidate easier than the other colors

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
my red 6 has oxidized pretty badly. woohoo! new paint for me!! and my car has been garaged it's whole life through winters and in the summer. go figure XO

solar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't worry too much about the paint, if you are like most of us here you will probably get a body kit amd repaint it anyway. If everything else on the car is good then go for it plus the guy will probably discount you if the paint is crappy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
still looks like shite

my red mx6 oxidized like nothing else (but i live in texas so who knows). i tried polishing it myself and even had it professionally buffed, but nothing seems to have worked. if any body knows what to do about this... HELP!:confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Faded Paint

Try rubbing compund, or a car pollish that takes off Oxidation, then wax away. It will look good for a while, but the paint is fried, and will not hold the wax long.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
From my experience as well, green MX-6s oxidize badly, followed by red. It usually happens on the upper surfaces. I think it's just a fault with dark Mazda colors; my navy blue RX-7 did the same thing, as did a navy blue 626 of the same year that I am familiar with.

The good news is that the white, black, and silver cars don't seem to do it as badly, if you like those colors.

Tyson

·
Registered
100 Posts
Silver seems to be a good choice;)

Mine's a 95 silver MX6 and except for a few swirls and minor scratches and chips the rest of the paint looks fairly new. People have even asked if it is a new car or if it has been repainted after they know it's a 95.
I only have a very slight case of oxidation around top of rear bumper (tiny rust specs in paint - barely noticeable) and 1 rust spot around the rear lic. plate.Still might repaint though cause I have a couple of dings in the front fenders.

Go for silver if repainting, hides dirt and dust extremely well too. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got a 95 black 6 and the hood is oxidized. I tried to use a rubbing compound and a buffer then waxed it. It look great for a few days but I think the weather out here in Hawaii just killed it again. Thats ok though, cuz the insurance company is buying me a new body kit and paint job.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts