Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed all of the parts for my A/C including the radiator looking thing in front of the radiator. I have noticed a significant drop in temps when driving since doing so. Now my question.....last night I popped my hood and had my radiator fan going (long drive home from work)..I kept the stock one, but removed and discarded the one on the outside. When I put my hand in front of the radiator, I could feel nothing but cold air coming through, but on the left side, it was too hot to touch. Under normal driving conditions with all parts stock, ALL of the radiator would get hot. I am wondering what the outcome would be to go and buy a stock radiator fan from the junkyard and put it on the opposite side of the radiator (passenger side, flowing through the radiator and towards the turbo)... would it negate engine temps to the point of it being a PRO/CON? meaning that the thermostat might not open when it should due to the fact that the coolant is TOO cool?

I'm thinking that it might be a cheaper alternative to buying a larger, better flowing radiator, like a Fluidyne.

all you'd have to do is buy an OE MX6 radiator fan or similar and splice it into the wiring from the other side:shrug:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
well u couldnt go with a stock one cause it would be pulling the air the wrong way, and our fans suck cause u cant just reverse the wireing liek u can with alot of other fans to make them pushers instead of pullers, when u try with our stockers, they just fry, i know from experience:p
i think u should be fine as is personally. ur car is running cooler, why go overbored with it? mainly with winter coming up.

·
Registered
707 Posts
the radiator looking thing in front of the radiator is the a/c condenser, and the fan in front of that is just the a/c fan, so no it's not really needed and you wont need any extra fans, because the a/c fan is only on when the a/c is on, but another cheaper alterantive to teh fluidyne radiator is a custom aluminum radiator made by magnumforce.com, they only cost 199.95 plus shipping, that's my next mod.

you can even splice the a/c fan into the radiator fan and still use that to cool teh radiator when the rad fan kicks on, although im not saying it's a good idea or the best thing to do, i did this once on my car, but the temps did not drop any lower so i just threw teh a/c fan away.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I don't really see the need for a larger radiator or a larger/additional fan. The stock setup works very well as is. Unless you're running your car extremely hard (i.e. track car) I don't think you should need to upgrade or modify the cooling system if all components are functioning and the temp gauge stays near the center.

Also, you really don't need the fan to be on 100% of the time. When the car is moving at highway speeds, there is enough air moving through the radiator to cool it without turning the fan on.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm talking about using the stock radiator fan (the plastic one) and putting it on the other side of the radiator, on the opposite side (passenger) blowing through the radiator and towards the turbo and ex manifold. I run my car hard 99.9% of the time, I boost 14-16 psi and a drop in temps couldnt hurt :lol:

no one has answered my question about coolant though, would that negate the thermostat?

·
Registered
707 Posts
it would not effect the t-stat or lower the engine temps or teh coolant temps, from my own experience again it will not lower the engine temp at all, and a monoxidechild said it would be pulling the air the wrong way, not pushing it so it will still be useless, just leave it the way it is you'll be fine.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly!!!!!...opposite sides of the radiator, facing opposite directions, one in the stock position blowing out and towards the front of the car, and one on the passenger side blowing through the radiator and towards the turbo, there is plenty of room if you remove the center bracket for the hood latch...it seems logical and a good idea to me...all you'd have to do is splice the wires together and turn them both on with the same switch...your A/C controls inside the car :shrug:

·
Registered
707 Posts
but how do you plan on manipulating another stock style fan into pushing instead of pulling like their made to do, why not just use the a/c fan and splice that into the rad fan, since the a/c fan is already a pusher fan it will work, this is the same thing i did to my car with teh a/c fan, and whenever the rad fan turned on so did the a/c fan so they both were cooling the rad since i got rid of the a/c condenser, however i still didn't notice any difference and just threw oout the a/c fan to save a few pounds and make more room for a larger front mount than the stock unit, currently i have even gotten rid of the stock rad fan and replaced it with a pusher fan in between teh rad and intercooler and even thought it is smaller it works just as well if not better thatn the stock fan.

G

·
sleepermx6 said:
but how do you plan on manipulating another stock style fan into pushing instead of pulling like their made to do, why not just use the a/c fan and splice that into the rad fan, since the a/c fan is already a pusher fan it will work, this is the same thing i did to my car with teh a/c fan, and whenever the rad fan turned on so did the a/c fan so they both were cooling the rad since i got rid of the a/c condenser, however i still didn't notice any difference and just threw oout the a/c fan to save a few pounds and make more room for a larger front mount than the stock unit, currently i have even gotten rid of the stock rad fan and replaced it with a pusher fan in between teh rad and intercooler and even thought it is smaller it works just as well if not better thatn the stock fan.
Um, mounting the fan backwards would change its flow direction. I don't see why you guys are haveing so much trouble understanding it.

It makes sense SixSick, but why don't you just pick up a larger fan from another car in a junkyard?

Check out the ones on subaru's. They are pretty wide and narrow.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I was thinking of that too, like a double blade fan for the whole radiator, or one big one. But the more I look at the car, it seems like a stock OE fan will fit on the opposite side next to the intercooler....

I don't get why you guys arent understanding what I'm saying, it's really easy. You even mentioned, "just use the A/C fan" and "how do you plan on reversing the flow, to push instead of pull"? WTF:lol:...Think of the position of the stock FAN, now turn your radiator 180 degrees, thats where the fan will be, it will be in place of the A/C fan (which is metal and sucks)

·
Registered
138 Posts
So your stock fan will be pulling air through the radiator from the front of the car into the engine bay and the new one you want to put on will be pulling air from the engine bay (and the hot arse turbo) through the radiator and out to the front of the car, Right? Well this doesn't sound like the best idea to me, I think you would want to be pulling the outside cooler air though the radiator, not 1/2 outside air and 1/2 hot engine bay air. You may also create a nice circular flow of air with the same warm air constantly flowing through each fan. All of this will also only effect the engine temps when the car is not moving as more air will flow through when the car is moving than the fans would be able to do on their own. But that is just my thinking on the subject, if you want to try it, go for it and see if you like whatever the results are.

I think no matter what you try and do though the t-stat and coolant will keep the car right where it always is as that is how the engine was designed to run. Your better bet may be to try and find a 2-stage t-stat that opens at cooler temps, say 170 and 180 or so, that would flow the coolant more through the radiator and force the engine to run cooler, though I don't know that that is a good idea. Even worse idea, just get rid of the t-stat all together so even more coolant will flow through the radiator all the time. This may be best left for track only cars that need all the cooling they can get.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
SixSick6: I still think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. What leads you to believe that the system in place now is inadequate, even for hard use? Is your temperature gauge staying in the middle? Is your fan hooked up to the thermoswitch so that it comes on at the appropriate times? (i.e. the stock wiring system) If so, adding another fan isn't going to help anything, as the fans are only on when the engine is above a set temperature. When the fans come on, the temp goes back down and they turn off. The only thing you would be helping is the radiator to cool slightly faster, but I really don't think this will make much difference if the stock fan is keeping the temperature in check just fine.

If your temperature gauge is staying in the middle, you have nothing to worry about. I disagree with the idea here that "cooler is always better." The engine is designed to operate at a set temperature (around 200F for this car), and running below that temperature is probably not benefiting anything. In fact, you may lose gas mileage or performance if you bypass the thermoswitch and make the fans run 100% of the time, "overcooling" the engine.

Also, I would think that you would WANT the turbo to stay somewhat hot. The turbocharger uses the energy of that heat, along with the exhaust gas pressue, to spin its turbine. The center section is already cooled sufficiently by the coolant running through it.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah thats what I was thinking as well, I'm not really sure if it will benefit anything at all? I'm not one of the guys who's temp needle sits in the middle, in fact, mine BARELY MOVES :lol: it always sits at the first / on the gauge. The only time it moves anywhere is if I am sitting (like in a traffic jam). I have a Nissan 280 Hoodscoop and a cone filter W/heatshield which provide PLENTY of fresh air. I also still have the home depot dryer duct hooked up and running into the heat shielded cone. I have also removed all of my A/C componants as well as removed some of the plastic that is on the front fender. My engine really gets optimum COLD AIR, but that only works when I am driving. I'm mostly trying to figure something out for runs at the track, when you are in nuetral and pushing your car to the staging lanes to cool it off after runs :lol:...I'm going to try it out this weekend and see if it brings any benefit:shrug:...an OE fan cost more than what $10 at the junkies?

see the thing is, running higher boost brings higher temps, and most articles that I read about blown motors say SOMETHING about, too much boost/heat...not enough radiator. Even the SCC article with the red headed step child mentioned that the first motor blew due to "too much boost, not enough radiator"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts