Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, was looking on the 92 MX6 and I noticed that it had a stock rear tie bar, (along with the rear strut bar). Has anyone noticed this before. Has anyone tried to order one of these from Mazda?

Will post some pics as soon as I am able.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought one from a guy who had wrecked his GT, and it fit on my LX no prob. However, I was wondering if yours was straight, or had 2 bends in it. Mine has 2 bends and looks like \__/. Is yours installed hanging down, or up? It fits both ways.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Manifest can you get pics of this thing? I wanna see it. That's a new one on me.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The rear tie bar ties the mounting points of the rear control arms together, to eliminate flex in the geometry.

I went to the dealer today to see about the price of this thing. It's $96, naturally. I think I'll make my own.
When they let me look at the diagram though, it was just a straight bar with two holes in it (similiar to the bar that the rear strut bar has, only shorter). It didn't have any bends in it like you guys were talking about.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought mine used, so it may or not be stock. I think that Corksport used to sell one, but I don't thik that it's available any more. I don't see a reason for the bar being bent. Perhaps it has a clearance issue on the 4ws? $96 IS a bit much. Mine was only $15!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I got off my ass for once and made my own brace today. Cost me $6 in materials. I bought a length of .25" x 1.5" plate steel (you need it at least 61cm long), then drilled two holes in it (exactly 57cm apart) with a 31/64 (not a typo) metal drill bit. Then I finished the ends with a file, cleaned it with simple green, and sprayed some primer on it so it wouldn't rust.
Here's how it came out:

http://users.clas.net/~mcdonald/james/mybrace.jpg

It works real good - I can definitely tell a difference in that the back end tracks around corners a lot better. I'm pretty sure it's stronger than the stock piece too (though heavier).
To install you'll need a shallow 21mm socket, any 17mm socket, two ratchets, and a breaker bar.

Manifest:
Do I remember correctly you saying once that you had to drop the rear subframe to intall your corksport tie? I didn't have to do that.

[Edited by antiSUV on 05-18-2001 at 02:17 AM]

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already had the rear end dropped or loosened since I was installing a rear strut bar... It just happened that I was installing both at the same time. I had heard from Corksport that some where having problems installing them because their rear bushings were already worn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts