Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I have my stock rims in my room so I just took a ruler in there and measured. From what it looks like they are 15 x 6 1/2. We have a rim measurer at work, but it's too far away to drive there to measure a rim:) I hope that this helps, why do you need to know?? Also, you are the guy with the BFG 225/50 on the front, right? How do you like them, and how do they fit?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, don't have them on the car now; but I have tried a few for AutoX. Other sizes I have tried are 215/45R17's and even some R1's on 16's. (205/55/ZR16) Each have their good and bad point. Try drag racing on a set of heavy 17's with some big tires and see how much it will slow you down... :)

Currently running 205/60R15 (on stock rims). My goal is to keep stock rims for AutoX. Wanted to try some 225/50R15's or 215/50R15's but have yet to put them on. Need to find the right tire first that will fit the 6.5 rim properly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hehe, I know what you mean about drag racing on 17's! I have 17's with 215/40 Toyo Proxes FZ-4's (they really suck) and my best time with them was a 14.7 @ 98mph. Switched to the stock 15's with 195/65 Toyo H4's and my best dropped to a 14.0 @ 100mph!! That is a huge difference and I must have made a good 15+ passes on each kind of tire and the weather was similar, so that wasn't the factor, it was the wheels/tires that made the difference. My 17's weigh 5 lbs more per side than the 15's, so that rotating mass really adds up quick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the stock 1st gen wheel is 15x6.0, the stock 2nd gen wheel is 15x6.5

those looking for an inexpensive upgrade, why not get a set of stock eclipse 16x6 alloys? it's the same 5x4.5 pattern. should be a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard people say they are 6 and others say that they are 6.5 When measured it is 6.5, I have done this myself. Is there something about these rims and how they are measured that is throwing me off?

I want to keep the stock rims on the car for AutoX and also because I like the way they look.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went out and measured an 88-89 mX6 GT rim. From inner-part of lip to inner part it is 6.5; from outer edge to outer edge it is 7. My guess is that these things are 6.5. There is almost no way they could be 6 inch.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be that the site is wrong, or that Mazda lists them as 6. It depends on how you take the measurement of the rim. It may be that at the time; they only had full sizes for the rim. For instance if the rim was anything less then 7 then it was a 6 rim. This is all speculation till we get someone who knows more on this subject.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Referbished rims site = poop

·
Registered
449 Posts
according to the Mazda workshop manual, there are 6-JJx15

I assume that means 6" but how knows what JJ means.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It good to hear that 205/60R15 tires fit on the stock GT rims. I was about ready to pick up some new rims because the tire I wanted wasn't available in the 195 size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just how good or bad are the Toyo Fz4's? I'm thinking about getting a pair up front sized 225/50/15. Would it fit with no problems? I'm currently using Yoko avids 205/55/15's; now these tires suck

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have yet to put on the 225/50R15 tires. They will fit on the front, it is the rears that are in question still. I will not know (unless you try it first) for another month yet.

From all accounts it "should" work; the tire is about the same height as a 195/60R15 tire, so it will not rub the spring perch (stock tire for 88-89 years). The width is the issue yet. One, is 225 width too large for a 6.5 width rim. And will a 255 tire rum the strut cylinder with the stock offset (without spacers).

*update* the 225/50R15 tires work just fine as long as you have the new updated struts. If you have org AAS struts they may not work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tire compound is the key to traction, not tire width

Treadwear has a direct relationship to tire stickyness. i wish i didn't let the tire salesman talk me into getiing a higher treadwear, so my tires would last longer. How much longer are they going to last, if when i want traction, the tires spin?

10 more millimeters wider is not nearly as important as treadwear. treadwear tells how hard the rubber is, which makes it last longer. lower treadwear is a sideeffect of a really sticky tire. Semi's have really high treadwear, but there tires are practically like plastic; it doesn't matter though, because they have such enormous weight, they get traction anyways.

When i bought my car, it had different tires on the front and back, and when i rotated , i had more traction, and noticed that 2 of the tires were 340 treadwear and 2 were more performance, and had a 220 treadwear.

when shopping for a performance tire, treadwear is important because you want to know how well your tire is going to grab the road, and not spin.

G

·
did someone really say that maza was wrong in their listing of the stock wheel size? it is 15 by 6 in. not 6.5in. a good upgrade for a light 16in wheel is a lexus GS400 rim set. i have them with 215/50/16 BFGoodrich Comp T/A's and i love them. the wheels are 7.5 in wide and bolt right on WITH the LEXUS LUGS. you'll need an 11/16th spacer in the ther rear and the ofset in the front and rear is increased to the fender line so the look great and widen the track of the car without screwing with conering. i have yet to breakloose on sharp conrners and tight turns. this is a great set up. i have some BBS 16 by 7in wheels but i cant find the 4th wheel as they are dicontinued. if i can find a picture i will post it. i really would like to find a 4th as the others a perfect, any help would be great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts