Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on my stockers because my Toyos have been balding, not too bad but Id rather have tread.

After I put them on my car seems a lot slower than usual. I would think that it would be faster?? Since these rims and tires are lighter, although they dont seem any lighter than my 17's??

Is this because my stock tires are bigger (since Im runnin 40 series tires on my 17's rather than 45's??)
I was thinking its just me not being use to them. Even my friend thinks its a lot slower. Hes only been in the car a couple of times.

Anyone got any ideas

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd say get your "butt dyno" fixed. :) kidding..

It may be that the OVERALL rotational mass is increased. The stock WHEELS may be lighter, but the tire may make up for it. That would be one prob, and the other may be with the overall diameter of your 17" tire compared to stock. For example, 29.5" compared to 29.75" it makes a larger difference than you may think.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinkin that they were pretty heavy. and since that I didnt have the right size tires on my 17's???

·
Registered
897 Posts
Somehow I don't think 0.25" will feel any different in overall diameter.

I noticed no difference from stock to my wheels, which are slightly smaller than the stock ones.

I would be curious to find out the difference in weight, but aside from pulling one off my car, I'm too lazy to find out.

Maybe when I have to take the wheel off later, I will check on my bathroom scale.

I think it's all in your head.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
I put on my stockers because Id rather have tread.

After I put them on my car seems a lot slower than usual. I would think that it would be faster??
I was thinking its just me not being use to them.

Anyone got any ideas
Does it only "feel" slower ? Perhaps the speedo is off somewhat. My guess is that there's probably a totally different driving sensation, which is in turn causing you to think that your car's slower.

·
Registered
616 Posts
agreed.

(ok, so maybe .25 isn't a big deal, but you get the general idea) :)

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know ifs its just me but I took off fast through 3rd going into 4th and it felt slow. I looked at my speedo and id usually be at 90mph and I was at 80mph??

Maybe its just me, Ill do it tomorrow.........Ill see what 3rd gear maxes out at.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
I dont know ifs its just me but I took off fast through 3rd going into 4th and it felt slow. I looked at my speedo and id usually be at 90mph and I was at 80mph??

Maybe its just me, Ill do it tomorrow.........Ill see what 3rd gear maxes out at.
Maybe your speedo was just calibrated wrong for that rim/tire combo? Could be a lot of things, my car feels faster sometimes then other times it feels slow. well maybe that's because it blows up so much? lol :shrug:

·
Registered
581 Posts
i know when i put on my 17's it was noticably slower.. but thats with 225-45-17's

i actaully think that your speedo's off with your 17's.. meaning smaller diameter.. according to your speedo..

search for tire calculator.. on the web and it will show you tire size differenced and speed

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
slower......

shannonlujan said:
Try a big ass Mazda sticker and you'll be flyin again :E
Hey man, is it best to place the sticker on the rear portion of the car ?, so the edges don't pick up any drag............!

·
Registered
411 Posts
i have the same problem but alittle different rim size, i had toyo tires in 195/ 50/ 15s on my car with the stock rims and i switched with my cousin (Dumped626) he has 195/ 60/ 15s Dunlops and for some reason when we switched tires my car felt alot SLOWER:shrug:
i know what you mean man my 3rd gear usually just goes but with these tires it felt sluggish and mph was going up slower than usual, you can feel and see the difference... :shrug:
real weird!!!! i mean its just tires...... :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
195/50 15's are smaller than 195/60 15's. That's why it feels slower. Not only that, but it'll throw off your speedometer a bit too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts