Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from kyneton just before, and i just dropped a mate home, and started going down the road when i could smell a very intense burning smell and the temp guage had risen quite a bit from what its usally on, so i quickly pulled over and turned the car off, then had a look under the hood, no smoke, but the exhaust manifold and turbo were red hot, i know that normal but i wasnt driving very hard, im not sure whats going on seeing its never done that before, do you think it could be the radiator fans not working properly, a water leak, dodgy water pump? I know i have a small water hose coming off the head somewhere that leaks which i need to replace but im not sure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it did seem like it was losing power, i took it real slow home and it cooled down and i felt a bit more power. What and where is the cat?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
it could be melted internally, which wouldn't rattle. take off the cat and try driving it with an open downpipe if possible. if it runs much better, the cat is the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just took the thermostat out and tested it and its working just fine. Im quite sure its not the cat converter because this overheating problem started instantly, didnt get worse and worse and it doesnt seem to be broken anyway. Im pretty sure its not the head gasket either. I dont think the downpipes broken either. What does it mean if it is broken anyway? Is there anything else you guys can think of that might be causing the overheating?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Timing belt slip.

If your belt is old it can get enough slack in it to skip a tooth.
Which throws out your cam and ignition timing causing a lot more heat to be pumped out the exhaust.

Slap a timing light on it and see if your ignition timing is right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys i still havnt worked out what the problem is, and the overheating is getting mch worse to start with. The timings fine, the thermostat works like a charm and the car converter is fine. Has anyone had a problem like this and should i stop driving full stop till i figure out what it is?

and i have a small little waterleak, just sprays a tiny bit when the cars running, could that be why its overheating?

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
maybe ur radiator is the issue? i wouldnt drive unless u wanna blow ur headgasket and that would probably mean u having to take time off from ur car to fix that, i would patch that hole up that's leaking water and feed the radiator water directly and not through the reservoir. just a thought. also, have u checked for codes? maybe u get one and will narrow the problem down.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
have you had your coolant tested for exhaust/waste gases? I would start there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
too late now, on the way home last night the engine caught fire and the car is now a load of ashes. will post a thread with pics later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts