Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I own a 1992 jspec kl-ze 5speed.

The other day I was driving home after having my springs installed, when suddenly the gauges went funny; the temp and fuel gauge went to full. I freaked out and thought it was overheating so I shut off the car. I checked the under the hood and the radiator hose seemed cool, so I tried to start the car again.
However it wouldn't start. There were clicking noises from the relays, but removing those didn't help. So I had the car towed home.

The next day I had a look and found I could start it, but only if I had the clutch in/depressed. As soon as I release it the car shuts off and the dash lights dim. Also when I try to put it in gear the car shuts off again (while the clutch is in).

Now while its running, with the clutch in, the relays still click, and there is a clicking sound from near the glovebox (left side of the car - its RHD), and theres a clicking/sparking sound from near the alternator area of the engine.
The revs jump a little and the aircon/radio resets on and off rapidly, and the lights flicker on the dash so I'm guessing something is shorting every second or so.

:confused:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was actually spot on!

I went ahead and attached a cable from the negative terminal of the battery directly to the chassis and it runs perfect again. Removed it, and the car shut off instantly.

I'll give you karma, as soon as I work out how :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts