Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic told me a weird clunking coming from under my car was either a broken strut bar or sway bar, I can't remember which. Anyway I think it is probably the strut bar. Total cost of fixing it $236!!! Is it worth buying a strut bar from corksport or is the one a mechanic throws on just the same.
Will it be any cheaper buying it off the linternet and having him put it on? Also what exactly does the strut bar do and for the matter what does a sway bar do? Thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
allworldkj said:
My mechanic told me a weird clunking coming from under my car was either a broken strut bar or sway bar, I can't remember which. Anyway I think it is probably the strut bar. Total cost of fixing it $236!!! Is it worth buying a strut bar from corksport or is the one a mechanic throws on just the same.
Will it be any cheaper buying it off the linternet and having him put it on? Also what exactly does the strut bar do and for the matter what does a sway bar do? Thanks
As far as your mechanic goes, I think he's guessing if he can't distinguish from which the noise is coming from.

A "sway bar" is a steel bar whose ends attaches to the suspension on either side of the car. The middle part of the bar is mounted to the car with rubber bushings. The general idea of this bar is to counteract the tendency of the car to lean into a corner by using the fact that the bar twists as the suspension on one side of the car goes down while the other side goes up. Noise from this bar can come, generally, from one of two places. The bushings that mount the bar to the chassis are under alot of stress when the bar is being "used" and can pull through. The result is the bar banging on the chassis as it's loaded and unloaded. It almost feels like someone is under the car hitting the floor with a hammer. The second general source are the end-links that connect the bar to the suspension. These are usually fairly thin and have a couple of rubber isolation washers. The links can break causing the bar to become ineffective. The result is a car that leans alot in corners and may have noises in the front end.

As for the "strut" bar, there are two generally accepted definitions for this device. One is the aftermarket strut bar that people buy that bolts between the strut towers under the hood and which serves to reinforce the chassis, minimizing deformation when going around corners etc. From Auto Alliance, the MX6 and PGT didn't have these strut bars, even as an option.

The other traditional definition of a strut bar is a longitudinal link that connects to the chassis at one end and to a suspension element (usually a lower control arm) at the other. This bar serves to locate the lower control arm longitudinally (back-&-forth) when the lower control arm itself isn't designed to handle these forces. The lower control arms in the PGT/MX6 are designed to handle these loads and so the car doesn't have strut bars in the front suspension. The rear suspension does though (you can see it by looking into the wheel well just ahead of the rear tire...that bar that's about 0.7" in diameter). However, I've never heard of a bushing going in one of these.

Maybe you should have the mechanic show this "strut bar" he's thinking of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Noise-Sway bar /strut mounts

Hi,
Ive read what you have said. Im having a noise problem at slow speeds turning. I have already had new struts, strut mounts, sway bar links and ball joints installed. Even a suspension bolt redone by the dealership. The noise is still there after all this. What could the problem be, obviously the dealer caanot diagnose the problem. Someone please help!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Hi,
Ive read what you have said. Im having a noise problem at slow speeds turning. I have already had new struts, strut mounts, sway bar links and ball joints installed. Even a suspension bolt redone by the dealership. The noise is still there after all this. What could the problem be, obviously the dealer caanot diagnose the problem. Someone please help!!
Inner Tie Rod.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hi,
Sounds alot more like a bad CV axle to me.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Sounds alot more like a bad CV axle to me.
Yea, that too.

The inner CV axle will sound like a griding noise.

The inner tie rod will make a clunky type noise.

·
Banned
422 Posts
come on now...lol

sorry but CV axles dont sound like "grinding" at all it is a soft to loud CLICKING sound that as the axle looses more grease and becomes more worn gets LOUDER AND LOUDER and the harder you have wheel turned and torque you put on it makes it get louder as well ...

tie rods arent normally loud or noticeable till 15mph or faster and at bout 60mph will make a tapping feel in the steering wheel not make it wiggle just a tapping feel thru the column and rack and pinion.... to know for sure which it is jack up front of car LEAVE key in so wheel DOESNT lock as is MUCH easier to find if not locked believe it or not ...

and shake wheel left to right (hands at 9-5) ... if there is looseness either inner or outer tie rod is bad and my best oppinion if you gonna change one change both lol i got both inner and outer for 30$ for my 94 mx6 ...

cv axle testing- leave car jacked up with wheel free to turn hard left and right and spin freely ... turn hard over left and spin wheel slow and if cv axle is bad you will hear and feel it in the wheel if you keep hand on the wheel as you spin it

also since you have up in the air might want to check for wheal bearing play as well... (hands at 12 and 6) and push at 12 and pull at 6 and vice versa and if you feel any play then will need that as well

and may want to repeat on driver side also to make sure its not from that side too ...

hope this helps you

Reactions: Baconman6

·
Registered
780 Posts

If it's a broken sway bar ? is it dragging on the ground or is he just talking about the sway bar end links ? I haven't had much problems down there but i fail to see how the bar it's self could be damaged unless you hit something. If it's in the endlinks do it yourself it'll be much cheaper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi again,
Well.
the noise is still there and I have seen the previous posts. Mazdaracer4fun, thanks for the heads up....I will have to check the tie rod ends! I have already replaced the CV joint/axles both sides, bearings, back and front sway bar links, all four struts, strut mounting plates, front ball joints.....and much more. But not the tie rod ends! Ill have to look into that...Thanks and Ill let ya know!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I would either suggest replacing the rear sway bar end links, or the inner and outer tie rod ends. Is the clunking comming from the rear or the front?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts