Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (wow my 1st post) I recently discovered that i had to replace one of my front struts due to a loud clunking noise when I would turn. So I go to the junkyard and I see a 88 mx6 LX with the strut I need, there is one problem though the LX had a manual transmission and my DX is an automatic. My question is this is there a difference between the two struts? I noticed that there is a sensor or something on the LX strut (maybe the sensor for AAS) so will the LX strut fit into my DX?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty sure it was AAS, on top of the strut there was a gold thing mounted to a bracket and a wire sticking out who knows? I could take a pic but I dunno if i can post it on here. I looked into getting a new strut and there is one prob i cant get a whole new strut unless i get it from the Mazda dealership, I went to a local parts store and all they coud offer me is a KYB strut and a upper strut mount, what I really need is the stuff inside the upper strut mount. check out the pic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what u mean diff rate im lost. I already installed the strut but i wanna make sure its all good and its not gonna screw around with the "rates" can please explain to me what the "different rates" are? Hey btw i i have to front struts from that LX i just installed the one on the passenger side due to the noise.

thanks
skaz

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
skaz0ne said:
what u mean diff rate im lost. I already installed the strut but i wanna make sure its all good and its not gonna screw around with the "rates" can please explain to me what the "different rates" are?

thanks
skaz
The non AAS strut has a certain stiffness. The AAS strut can have 3 different stiffnesses. Depending upon what position the AAS was in at the end, your stiffness rate will be different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i never thought about that when i bought the strut, LOL I could replace both struts and hope that they were set to normal suspension :p I dont know what else to do because the local shops cant get the WHOLE strut only the upper strut mount and the strut it self ( no spring or nothing).

Anyway thanks alot for your help man Ill go find out what the price for a new strut from the Mazda dealership is.

Thanks again,
skaz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could get a spring compressor but the parts i need the are in the upper strut mount and no one here can order the parts. As for the CV joint I replaced the whole axle on the noise making side and still the noise occured, after closely examing the right front wheel i saw that the parts in the upper strut mount were resting on the spring and they were all rusted and worn out I could literily take the (bushing/bearing w.e u call it ) and move it up and down. I determined that the noise was coming from the strut after turning the wheel back and forth numerous times. The result a loud clunking noise. I know for sure that its not the CV joint cause i replaced the whole thing.

Hey btw I went to the Mazda dealership after work today and a new strut is $210.00 CDN, Wow! what do u think should i install both LX AAS struts for the front reason i ask is because i dont want the tires to wear due to the oddball strut.

Thanks,
Skaz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
skaz0ne, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I am abiding by all the rules but i cant make a new topic :(

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
skaz0ne said:
skaz0ne, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I am abiding by all the rules but i cant make a new topic :(
I'll do it for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts