Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 88 GT with AAS that im getting roadworthy within the week. Im going to get the rear OEM tower bar that came on the later gt's. For the front i have know that Corksport makes(or made) them, i have seen one up close and to me they look very weak like they are a cosmetic part. One of my friends, Barry smits from holland, built a Bar for his 4ws GT. Its polished aluminum and VERY rigid. i was going to do the same, but i need dimensions, anybody got em?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hey dude,
I doubt the one you saw was actually the Corksport part, if you thought it looked weak. The Corksport one is heavy duty. Look at the picture of it they have on the corksport website. The Corksport one is best becuase it mounts flush to the top surface of the strut tower. This way, it is held on by a clamping force, as opposed to a shearing force (bad) that you get with some other bars. The Corksport people know what they are doing - they wouldn't put out a cosmetic strut bar, especially not for $218. The guy on this site named Manifest has the corksport bar. Ask him what he thinks of it.

http://users.clas.net/~mcdonald/james/mx6_bar.jpg

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
older bar?

the bar i saw was black, wasnt home made(had nice welds and finish) but the bar attached to just two of the four strut tower studs. and the bar wasnt that thick at all.

-eric

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well where did you see this black bar? That sounds like description of the factory REAR bar. The OEM rear bar is black and only attaches to 2 of the 4 strut studs. It is made out of 1" diameter steel tube, which is plenty.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bar on 88 sedan

I saw the bar on an 88 turbo 626 sedan that came into service where i work. it was a front bar because the bar wasnt mounted below the brackets that to the studs. could it have been a modified OEM bar? i think it was a corksport because that was what the owner was saying about some of the parts he had put on it. The car also had a very unusual color to it, tornado silver, i think the car may have been imported because the labels under the hood were in japanese first, then english. Also the cars emblems were in different spots then usual(where the "turbo" emblem is on our cars, "2.2L" was in its place and on the opposite side had the "turbo" emblem. Also he had lights in the middle of the fender, behind the wheel well way above the trim, like european models. i have made many offers on this car(because it only has 103,000 miles!)but he wont sell it for his life, his exact words. maybe this was an imported car that had a front bar? hmm weird

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Just check my website for pictures of the bar. Barry even designed his bar from the pics on the site. The bar is VERY strong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts