Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can get a strut tower bar for the 1st Gen.? I've looked around everywhere and I've only found one at corksport.com but it costs $191!!! If Honda owners can get theirs for less than $100, why can't we??

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hmm, they seem to have a rear strut bar for the 1st gen as well. Is the rear strut bar for teh Probe the same as teh MX-6?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
where'd this place come from?

So many of us have been flopping around on the floor trying to find strut tower braces for the first gen (besides the corksport one that is $200 and rumoured to not be made anymore), and here this company comes along and they have them for our cars AND Hyundais!
I wonder how good the bars are and if they are adjustable for preload (I cant tell from that tiny pic on the page).
Im asking for this for Christmas...

·
Registered
405 Posts
whe wasnt for sure see's how the probe is a hatchback, and the 6 isnt. but u could check on thier return policy and send it back if it doesnt fit. i am pretty sure the mazda dealer has one also, i think it goes for about $90 bucks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
it will fit...

everything is the same except asthetic stuff like the exterior and interior. The floor pans are the same because they were both produced at the same place. This means its the same width MX/626/probe..we can use the same strut mounts..meaning same bolt pattern..it will fit..and if it doesnt..send it back!lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah, but we also have a rear trunk deck that sits about the strut towers. which the probe does not, i might be wrong about where the towers are.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
you are right...there is that deck and its a pain to install a strut bar back there but it is possible..thats how they install struts back there..lol...its a tight squeeze but it will work.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Some info guys...

http://www.2thepits.com Does NOT have a rear strut bar for the 1st gens. I have called them on this and they have confirmed it. They can get a front bar. This bar is the TOPSPEED bar, but fit for our cars (GT's) require modifications to the bracket that sits on top of the strut towers. This is a PAIN IN THE ASS. Yes, corksport does have a bar, yes it fits and fits well. Yes, it is $200, and there are a lot of other FUNCTIONAL strut bars out there that run in this pricerange. The bar from corksport is lighter than any bar out there. It is C&N milled, and custom made. As of last month, CS only had 2 more of these... since I had purchased one.

If you are looking for a bar for it to "look" cool, then don't get this bar. There are too many others out there that wan REAL performance and there are just not that many of these left. If you have a car that you are going to keep for a while, and WANT a real performance part, then you had best pick up one of these bars and quick, as they will not be making any more...

As for a rear bar, get the MAZDA OEM one if you can.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
hey manifest

I wanna get one of these corksport bars for christmas, how hard was it to order from corksport...I've tried to e-mail them questions before and they never get back to me; this makes me wonder about their service. Did you have any trouble?
(I have acces to a CAM system at school. If I can't get the corksport bar, I think I'll design my own and have it milled out there.)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I was able to call them and talk to them on several occasions. I even have the Name/Number of the shop that created the bars for corksport. Their service was very good, but there is no return on the product unless defective. I would have no problem working with them again. Their bar is the BEST I have seen. I suggest that you not wait and order one right away. There were two left when I purchased mine. If you want to see pictures, check out my website.

If you do get the bar, maybe you could make a few copies of it for our other MX6 friends.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I was also considering the Topspeed and the freedom designs bars that require modifications. Then I saw Manifest's in person. There is NO comparison in quality. The corksport bar fits much better, and is a hell of a lot more rigid. The topspeed bars dont even mount flush to the strut tower, which means all the tension is placed on the strut bolts. Those flex, and will not allow you to acheive the full affect. Also, I drove manifest's car, and those bars do help. The thing felt solid as a rock.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the Top Speed, and yes it had to be modified, but mine fit flushly. And it has made a big improvement. Well worth the $50

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
And that was with the stock endlinks... :) Will be putting on the addco endlink and energy bushings for the sway bars this winter.

I heard from several people at the show that they rear sway bar on the GT's was hollow. I find this impossible to believe, but wanted to ask anyhow.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Rendell,

That is true as long as you do not have a GT. The GT's have mounting hardware on top of the strut towers that prohibit the flush mounting of the front strut bars. I have seen it done, but those that did it cut the mounting hardware. This mounting hardware holds the AAS, ignition coil, fuel filter and such. I would not want to weaken this item. Take a look at the pictures of this on my website and compare it to pics of those with the top-speed/freedom design bars, you will see the difference. You can FEEL the difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts