Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, I am buying struts for my 94 mx6 and don't know which ones to buy. I am looking at three different kinds,
*KYB - GR-2 Gas Strut for $215.40 on the entire setup
*TOKICO - Illumina Shock/Strut - including V6 - 5 Point Externally Adjustable for $606.52 on the entire set
*TOKICO - Premium Performance Shock/Strut for $424.52 on the entire set.

I am somewhat on a budget but want something that I will benifit from in the long run.

Rice_eater

·
Registered
158 Posts
those prices are ridiculous. JPMX6GT said he got 4 Tokico Illuminas for $115 each. I paid $500 something for my 4 Illuminas. If you plan on going really low with the coil overs, you're gonna need all the suspension help you can get, so I would say to go with the Illuminas. With 5 settings in the front and rear, you can play with your suspension to tweak it to your liking. Definitely a must have, at least for me they were.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would definitely have to say that those prices are ridiculously high. That's probably a quote you got from a local shop from your area right. In any case, I would call around differetn shops that are willing to deliver or even get a Super Street mag or a Sport COmpact car mag and call the shops there.

-I got quoted $500 plus for my ground control coil overs from every local shop and even some from the mags. then I found one shop in Super Street that offered them for $340 SHIPPED. I got them in about 4 weeks.

-I also got quoted over $250 for a MOMO Apache steering wheel from all of my local shops plus $80 for the hub. Then I called a shop in one of the mags and I got the whole thing, steering wheel and hub for $250.

Point is LOOK AROUND. Call shops outside your state. I used to deal a lot with CD Performance in California, when I'm in NJ. Look around and I'm sure you'll find a proce that suits you. Also, when you call th eshops, try to negotiate with them. If they offer $150 per strut, say the last shop you called offered them for $145 or 140 but your friend has dealt with them a lot and you rather get it from them but for a better price. 9 times out of 10, tey'll go lower. if not, call the next shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you're looking for cheap struts, go to importhookup.com. On the right hand side of the screen, they have a discount coupon for 33% off the retail price at carparts.com. I took down the number, spoke to the online mechanic at carparts(they didn't list the shocks I wanted on their website) and ordered a set of Tokico Premiums (the non-adjustables) for $201 +shipping. They have Koni Yellows (Adjustable) which go for about $389 after the 33% discount, the Tokico Illuminas should be about $300. That's pretty friggin' cheap. The best part is, that coupon is reuseable!! Go ahead, check it out and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
redza said:
If you're looking for cheap struts, go to importhookup.com. On the right hand side of the screen, they have a discount coupon for 33% off the retail price at carparts.com. I took down the number, spoke to the online mechanic at carparts(they didn't list the shocks I wanted on their website) and ordered a set of Tokico Premiums (the non-adjustables) for $201 +shipping. They have Koni Yellows (Adjustable) which go for about $389 after the 33% discount, the Tokico Illuminas should be about $300. That's pretty friggin' cheap. The best part is, that coupon is reuseable!! Go ahead, check it out and let me know what you think.
yo guys, if you need any parts, check this out. i ordered some parts for my friend's prelude (forgive me) last night and just put the coupon number in and took $30 off my order. Good lookin out redza!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys, they don't list the Tokico's for the MX-6 on their website, I don't know why, but you can either call them to order (don't forget that 33% discount coupon from importhookup.com) or, like I did, chat with their online mechanic, he takes orders too and he'll look up the shocks you want. Happy shopping!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts