Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new coilovers from weaon r. I don't want to put them on without finding out some info on struts first. I have a 95 with 88 thousand miles. How long do you think my factory struts would last with the coilovers. I know i should go ahead and replace them, but i just wanna know how long i can last so maybe i can save up more money for better struts.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Struts last a long time but if you compress them like the coilovers will do they will not last that long. plus they already have a few miles on them but that was under normal compression so they would have never really worn out just with that.

IMHO, i would save up the $$ for the struts( get a stiff one) and do it all at one time.

how far do the Weapon R's drop it anyway???

·
Registered
488 Posts
Most likely they are already in need of replacement. Most factory struts are good for about 50,000 miles or so. You may want to wait to put the coil over on until you can get a good strut as you need to modify the strut slightly just to put the Weapon R's on and it would be a pain to have to do that twice.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
putting Coilover on is a easy thing to do, it is like 2 bolts at the bottom and one nut on the top.

Greg, how can you tell they were gone, bounce around lot or were they leaking??

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how much of a drop i'll get, but i chose these over the ground controls mostly because of the price. I havn't heard much about these, but i'm hoping there pretty good. What struts do you guys recommend. Do i have to get adjustable struts or not? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You don't HAVE to get adjustables, but I think its worth the few extra dollars. I have Tokico Illuminas and am very happy with them so far. I wish they had a knob-adjustment instead of a screw (makes the rears a challenge to adjust. you need a mirror to see what you're doing), but I'll live.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just got my car lowered my ground control coilovers. I got KYB struts and was a bit scared that they were gonna be under dampened and not stiff enough. Well the ride is very good, not to stiff over the bumps and they dont feel under dampened at all. I am very glad that i got these struts, they aer good. I do still kinda wish i spent the extra cash for stiffer struts, but the KYB are fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts