Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just bought the STS-99 through http://www.probesport.com and I just wanted to know whether or not the shifting really improves or not. When it comes to installation how hard is it to un-screw the bolt on top of the cat-converter?
*****IS THERE ANY TIPS THAT YOU GUYS CAN SHARE WITH ME???***

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WHAT SIZE WRENCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO USE???

what size is the bolt that locks the shifter to the tranny rod????????????

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
You're going to love the new feel ofthe shirter. While there really isn't any performance gain to speak of or even any real asthetic gain either, it's probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do. It just makes driving the car a lot more fun.:D

·
Registered
291 Posts
sts-99

It's kickin'. Greg's right, not much visually, nobody will notice, but it is a lot more fun. Anyway, your question:
The bolt isn't too bad to get to, but you'll need a 10mm deep well socket to get to it.
My suggestions are such:
Before you put this bitch in, go buy a 10mm deep well socket and some (damn what are they called?) the pliers to remove the little ring things. I did it without the plier things, but it sucked and there were three of us getting those bitches out. To get to the linkage bolt, remove the flash metal around the cat/s-pipe. That's what you need the 10mm for. And leave the car in 4th (or whatever it was, it's on the probesport directions.) Then just undo the bolt.

But don't forget those damn pliers, they will save your ass.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
suweet

I am soo getting one of these, hopefully gonna order it this week or next week. I only here good things about these badboys..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
cool....

i think i might get one of those shifters. how much throw gets reduced??

SolarSlash

·
Registered
291 Posts
the throw...

Seems drastically reduced at first, maybe 50%, but now that I've had it a while, I can't believe that it used to be further, I'm just used to it now. I couldn't go back...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hey....

is this a do-it-yourself install? is there a chance of royally messing something up? thx.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
install.....

I actually installed it a few days ago and I didn't find it hard to install except for the part when I had to crawl under the car and undo the bolt. The shifting is pretty sweet I must admit...I really feel a difference. It's almost like playing on Daytona at the arcades,,,....hahahaha...if you need a hand installing it, just email your questions to me or any of the others online...

cheers!

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
WooHoo!!

thanks to all your input on this thread, I just went ahead and ordered it!!!!! I ordered it about f minutes ago on paypal, anyone know how long it will take to get to Toronto in Canada??

thx

p.s. I can't [email protected]!!!!!!
:smokin:

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I think it took mine about a month and a half...I'm in Montreal, but I ordered it around christmas time...might take less for you. It will be well worth the wait though!!!

bj

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
crap!

A month and a half?!?!?!
Holy crap man!! why the hell do they think they can charge shipping for that kind of service!!! I hope it doesnt take that long.. since Im pretty impatient and anxious.. oh well ... at least it will shoe up some time!! Thanks

question, If I got my mechanic to install it, how much do you think he would charge me? and how long do you think it will take him to do it??

Im also concerned about removing the center console, only cause I just got my woodtrim dash kit, and I hope it doesnt interfere too much with that!! DoH... guessx Ill have to wait and see!

thx

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
n4te33....

so you done it eh? is there any special instructions you can give me? anything you had a problem or slight problem with? thx.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ruffnek69, mine took about 2 weeks to arrive in Mississauga where I live. Again, it's worth the wait.

Solar, let's see....taking out the centre console is a pain in the ass because it connects to the dash panels. You should try to master it first even though you don't plan to change your shifter any time soon. If you look at the console, you will see that it is made in two pieces, they separate near the CD plate. When you remove that, give me a shout. That was the biggest pain in the @ss for me.

oh and ruffnek, I drove down the QEW last month and this bright yellow MX6 with the Eurabon kit whizzed passed me. It looked sweet. You can see it at JPMX6GT's site....
http://www.jpmx6gt.com/home.htm Look under MX6 Pages on the left and click on "MX6 Super Street" Everyone should go check out the MX6 in a photo shoot in Manhattan for the Playstation game MIDNIGHT CLUB STREET RACING.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
n4te33

i can take my jeep interior apart and put back together in 10 minutes, and thats the whole shabang almost. the dash isnt my biggest worry :) its hooking the rest of the thing up. ill shoot ya an email if and when i do the install. thx.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WELL IF YOU PUT IT THAT WAY THEN THE 2ND HARDEST THING TO DO IS GETTING UNDERNEATH THE CAR AND UNSCREWING THE FRIGGIN BOLT THAT ATTACHES THE SHIFTER TO THE TRANNY ROD (OR WHATEVER THE MIGHT CALL IT). I HAD TO TAKE MY CAT-CONVERTER OFF CAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE A LONG WRENCH HANDY. YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS SEEING IT BUT GETTING TO IT REQUIRES A WRENCH THAT IS AT LEAST 12"INCHES LONG. AND YES IT IS A 10MM. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just don't forget the damn snap-ring pliers. I can't stress that enough...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts