Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry i know this probably shouldnt be in the lounge but i i could use some quick answers....

after 140,000 miles i've still got the original springs and struts

the two nuts and bolts at the bottom are very very stuck

i've gone through 2 socket wrenches and half a can of wd40 in the past 2 hours........

any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Try an impact or put a breaker bar on the wrench.Oh and good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you can, maybe you could use a propane torch or any sort of flame to heat up the bolt a little bit, and use lots and lots of wd40 and let it soak in! and a lot of elbow grease. good luck
Ken

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
MX6HOSS said:
If you can, maybe you could use a propane torch or any sort of flame to heat up the bolt a little bit, and use lots and lots of wd40 and let it soak in! and a lot of elbow grease. good luck
Ken
Be careful of the closely mounted flammable stuff. Also make sure you dont want to reuse a strut if you use heat near it (obviously you dont want to reuse them in this case.) If you broke two socket wrenches, use a wrench with a cheater. Socket wrenches arent really made to beat on. The cheap ones also have nasty sideloading that results in more broken fasteners...

Its really good hardware, I'm suprised you are having such a time with it. At 100k miles mine werent much of a pain. The ABS sensor bolts though.....they will break easily, which makes it a pain to get the new strut on. Be careful

Ditch the WD and get some Pb-blaster.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a cheater...... and my two craftsman socket wrenches are now worthless.... at least i can go to sears and get new ones

the wd40 is now gone

my socket that fit perfectly at the beginning is now stripped... and so is one of the nuts

i'd use heat if i didnt use so much wd40... i'd like to keep fires down to a minimum

and yes... the struts are still on

any other advice?

·
Registered
711 Posts
skiingman said:

The ABS sensor bolts though.....they will break easily, which makes it a pain to get the new strut on. Be careful

Oh, so that's why my gaddamn ABS light is on all the time!!!!!
The friggin' shop that put on my Eibach Kit fugged up the ABS
sensor huh???

Ain't this a bizzle!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Abstract_MX6 said:
Oh, so that's why my gaddamn ABS light is on all the time!!!!!
The friggin' shop that put on my Eibach Kit fugged up the ABS
sensor huh???

Ain't this a bizzle!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Actually, just breaking the bolt shouldnt affect anything. It really just holds the line to the strut. For whatever dumb reason, they used a cheesy bolt instead of a clip like the brake lines. Rather than fix such a dumb problem, I just pried the strut lower mounting flange on over top of the broken part (wasnt quite fresh, didnt have a file handy) and then zip-tied the line to the strut body. Good as new, ABS worked fine afterwords. Rear calipers are another story however :)

They could have messed up the actual wheelspeed sensor, but those things are pretty beefy.
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
if all else fails use an angle grinder }) i doubt the wd40 would catch on fire. just have a wet rag to smuther it with in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts