Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've just about had it. The stupid interior is dead set on looking like ****. I wan't to fix it once and for all so I can move on to another project on the car.

Urathane..

I talked to a guy who ahd it done, he said that you use real car paint that you'd use on the out side, (of course, priming and sanding first) paint it with the car paint, then put a couple coats of clear urathane over it.

His looked amazing, but does anyone know more about this process??

T

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
this is the process that i know of. which i will be doing this winter.
1. clean the plastic or vinyl very good (there is special prep cloths available. alcohol pads might work)
2. sand down if its real slick.
3. use a high build sandable primer, once all the creases, cracks, and wrinkles from the vinyl and plastic are gone, sand down to make as smooth as possible. 2-5 coats
4. apply color of chioce in an automotive paint 1-3 coats
5.apply clear urathane 2-3 coats
6. wet sand
the finished product looks almost like you fiberglassed the piece, but really its just painted. looks very nice

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awsome, know where to buy urathane and house of kolor on the net?

T

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i dont know any off the top of my head, but if i find any i will let you know. there should be plenty out there. i would recommend PPG. they are well known and have good stuff. i believe they carry House of Color as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Personally, I love Plasti-kote products... You can get them at Advance autoparts, and most parts stores. They have a pretty awesome range of colors, primers and clear coat. They apply very smoothly, but you have to wait AT LEAST the recommended drying time for good results. Wet sanding is recommended, but I have achieved excellent results just dry sanding with a couple different grains.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I love Plasti-kote products... You can get them at Advance autoparts, and most parts stores. They have a pretty awesome range of colors, primers and clear coat. They apply very smoothly, but you have to wait AT LEAST the recommended drying time for good results. Wet sanding is recommended, but I have achieved excellent results just dry sanding with a couple different grains.

been there. done that.

T

·
Registered
60 Posts
ive done it

OK GUYS....... I WENT RIGHT TO PEP BOYS AND BOUGHT A PREP CLEANER, FINE SAND PAPER, SANDABLE PRIMER, REGULAR PLASTIC PAINT, AND GOT IT DOWN IN 3 DAYS. U SAND ALL THE PLASTIC ACCENTS ONE BY ONE, , CLEAN IT, SAND IT AGAIN CLEAN IT, THE YOU LIGHTLY PRIME IT, SAND IT , PRIME IT AGAIN..THEN U PAINT IT LIGHTLY, SAND IT AND FINALLY PAINT IT WITH TO COATS. THEN AFTER A FEW HOURS...CLEAR COAT IT.....I WILL HAVE PICS WHEN MY CAR COMES BACK FROM THE SHOP WHERE IM HAVENG THE EXTERIOR PAINTED. BELIEVE ME, FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE INVITEING ME TO DINNER. IT LOOKS LIKE FIBER GLASS......SLICK, NEAT, FLAWLESS!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
i didnt have 2 sand

me and my bro used model paint i didnt have 2 primer etheir i did other things besides my dash also later on and used primper and they look identical i would put pics on her but i dont kno how

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: ive done it

mx6nutt said:
OK GUYS....... I WENT RIGHT TO PEP BOYS AND BOUGHT A PREP CLEANER, FINE SAND PAPER, SANDABLE PRIMER, REGULAR PLASTIC PAINT, AND GOT IT DOWN IN 3 DAYS. U SAND ALL THE PLASTIC ACCENTS ONE BY ONE, , CLEAN IT, SAND IT AGAIN CLEAN IT, THE YOU LIGHTLY PRIME IT, SAND IT , PRIME IT AGAIN..THEN U PAINT IT LIGHTLY, SAND IT AND FINALLY PAINT IT WITH TO COATS. THEN AFTER A FEW HOURS...CLEAR COAT IT.....I WILL HAVE PICS WHEN MY CAR COMES BACK FROM THE SHOP WHERE IM HAVENG THE EXTERIOR PAINTED. BELIEVE ME, FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE INVITEING ME TO DINNER. IT LOOKS LIKE FIBER GLASS......SLICK, NEAT, FLAWLESS!!!!

sorry to go a bit off subject but, what rims are those on your car? and do they come in gunmetal those rims look sick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts