Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hardy are the rear spring perches? Would they crack or send my suspension geometry out of whack if I was to say, take a pickle fork and dead blow them in a few mm's for tire clearance? :D

The "arrow" indicates where I want to hammer in. It's where the perch/seat comes away from the strut. My new wheels/tires are "just" a bit wide for the rears :(

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Just a question. Why not just go with coilovers? since your gonna cut a piece or bang em.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cuz that requires monies I don't have haha

would you like to donate a set of GC's for the rear? :p

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Fuck it hammer it then :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Well...if you are going to hammer in the section in your picture it wont do much since, y'know...the tire is on the other side of where you marked :p

What the wheel width/offset? I cant think of anything "bad" that would happen but, Er....1/8" spacers? They dont cost a fortune.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wheel size: 18x7.5 42 offset
tire size: 235/40

Gavin :p it was late for me :lol:

Btw, the wheels clear the front perch, but less than my pinkie's thickness :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
You have an additional 3/4" of wheel width "added" to what would have been the stock wheel width, and almost an extra inch of height. You making a donk out of the MX6 :p ?

You should have a little clearance between the wheel and fender(although with the extra height of the wheel combo it might be tight). Id say get a couple cheap 1/8"(?) spacers and call it a day.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, figured it'd be about a 5/16" spacer :)

A donk? No way! I want to drop it some, maybe an inch up front and .5-.75" in the rear. Would some Tokiko Blues on stock springs do that, or should I opt for the 93 PGT suspension swap?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
You need some struts anyway so sure. Blues are a good strut to get. I dont know how they are in terms of gas pressure though. (for what its worth, the koni red inserts are low pressure gas and lowered the car @ 3/4-1" all around with stock springs).

Other than that... lowering springs? The struts on the 2nd gen dont do anything for the 1st gen. The spring perches are the same height. The spring perches have to clear the wheels...which are the same size in the 1st and 2nd gens, so there is no height difference there. Its the springs that are different, but its still kindof a hokey setup.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need some struts anyway so sure. Blues are a good strut to get. I dont know how they are in terms of gas pressure though. (for what its worth, the koni red inserts are low pressure gas and lowered the car @ 3/4-1" all around with stock springs).

Other than that... lowering springs? The struts on the 2nd gen dont do anything for the 1st gen. The spring perches are the same height. The spring perches have to clear the wheels...which are the same size in the 1st and 2nd gens, so there is no height difference there. Its the springs that are different, but its still kindof a hokey setup.

Gavin
I remember your thread about doing the inserts...the wife is complaining about how much money I spend on my car :lol: I'm not sure if I can sneak those through :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
blues are @$135 at thepartsbin and the koni reds(adjustable/rebuildable) are $167at the summit racing. I think a lot of people havent considered them because either(a) they dont know they exist or (b) think they are super expensive...but comparatively, they arent :shrug:

Still though, blues are a good strut.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blues are @$135 at thepartsbin and the koni reds(adjustable/rebuildable) are $167at the summit racing. I think a lot of people havent considered them because either(a) they dont know they exist or (b) think they are super expensive...but comparatively, they arent :shrug:

Still though, blues are a good strut.

Gavin
I was looking at the reds and am liking what I'm seeing :) Maybe I can save up enough change and buy them one at a time :tup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
lol @ blunt force 'trama'? That's so ghetto. And so unsafe :rolleyes:
You might as well take to the contact patch with an angle grinder..
Anyway, its your car not mine :p

The tyre profile is totally wrong(40 series), ideally you should be running 225/35 18in(perfect but with rubbing) or 215/35 18in(no rubbing), and even then on the stock rear struts it will still hit LOL

If those are KYB GR2's then you need to change tyre profile to 35, or get coilvers. Doubt a spacer will help.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol @ blunt force 'trama'? That's so ghetto. And so unsafe :rolleyes:
You might as well take to the contact patch with an angle grinder..
Anyway, its your car not mine :p

The tyre profile is totally wrong(40 series), ideally you should be running 225/35 18in(perfect but with rubbing) or 215/35 18in(no rubbing), and even then on the stock rear struts it will still hit LOL

If those are KYB GR2's then you need to change tyre profile to 35, or get coilvers. Doubt a spacer will help.
Actually, stock AAS Struts, and yes, 5/16" spacers will clear it :) Smallest I would feel comfortable with would be 225/35, anything smaller and it'd be like riding on rubber bands.

·
Registered
415 Posts
im using 225/35-18 on mille miglia 18's (ET42) with 5mm spacers in the rear, no rubbing at all.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yeah I was going to say grind em'. I would really like to get the inserts and coilover suspension, myself.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I was going to say grind em'. I would really like to get the inserts and coilover suspension, myself.
1/2" worth of spaces and some blunt force hammering on the perches did it :D

looks like I might be getting some coilovers anyways...so the spacers can come out anyways :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm running 215 width tire on a 8" width rim and I still have a bit of sidewall to protect the rim, but they're 17's too.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
so the spacers can come out anyways :D
The need for the spacers wont change with the addition of coilovers. The wheel/tire combo will still be just as wide. Out of curiosity...how much thread engagement are you getting with 1/2" of spacer. Good rule of thumb is at least the same amount of thread engagement as the stud is thick.

Gavin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts