Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1994 Mazda mx6 KLDE 5 speed. The car has been sitting for a couple months due to some suspension problems. Well I got all that taken car of but driving it I've noticed that at around 1000 rpms all the way to 2000 -2500 The car shakes alot, I dont mean like a hardcore shake but there is alot more vibration than normal then it goes back to normal after 2500ish and when its declerating I have noticed that the rpms slow down at 2300ish for a split second then again at 1000.

What could be the problem?

Also with the hood up on the car and the car started that is occasionally a weird vibration noise (kinda sounds like a screw rattling around or something but I couldnt find it.)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
vibrating like its not firing properly?

had a similar problem with my 626...its usually your disty that needs replacing or the HEI mod with coil

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive not had disty problems before so Im not sure but I would think it would be a little harsher and is there a way to test it?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
could be timing is off, such as retarded too much. also, could be your grounds need a good cleaning

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be timing is off, such as retarded too much. also, could be your grounds need a good cleaning

I don't know a whole lot about cars so correct me if I'm wrong but if the timing was off wouldn't that have an effect on my Idle? After the car is warmed up it Idles fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check the disty cap, rotary button, wires, and plugs. Yes, it could be one of those even if it smooths out when warm. Also check that timing. I have a 94 MX6 5 speed 4cyl., and sometimes the most obvious yet simple thing actually IS the problem...look back a couple of months at what was wrong with mine. It was the rotary button contacts ground down and it ran like crap until higher RPMs. I went through all kinds of crap just to figure out it was one of the simplest things...we even bypassed the ignitor!

When you run out of simple things to check, THEN you start to really worry... :lol: :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I checked the disty cap and rotor button, the contacts had a little tiny bit of corrosion on them but I cleaned them up other than that it was fine..No cracks or anything. I'll be going to buy new plugs and a timing light later.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
heres a nice cheap timing light for ya. I know the guy personally...and hes been trying to sell it for a while

http://www.mx6.com/forums/canada-buy-sell/218739-fs-timing-light.html

the disty is hard to test other than noting the symptoms. Mine idled fine, ran great on the highway but sometimes would have trouble even pulling away from a light....but as soon as it got over 2000 rpm it ran like a champ

took 10min to switch the disty and now it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Stuttering? Take it to a speech pathologist. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I bought all new spark plugs aswell as a timing light.

It is to late to swap it all and check them timing right now but ill get to it tomorrow.

I've never checked timing on a car before so any advice would be great.
So far I got that I need to hook the pos/neg up and put the other thing over the 1 cylinder spark plug wire.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Point the light down at the crank.

You should see the arrow and the red dot on the crank. Those should be dead even.

If the timing is off you will need to jump the car in diagnostic mode and adjust the disty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Changed the sparks plugs and had some oil in the Spark plug well so I changed the Valve cover gasket too. The problem is still there. Im also an idiot and cant figure out where to point the timing light, can someone post up a picture?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're going through all that trouble, why not go ahead and change the disty cap and rotory button? It's actually cheap. Mine didn't look all that bad but changing it definitely helped. Why only do half a tuneup??? Around $20 for the cap, $5 for the rotary button. Also run some injector cleaner through the tank or maybe take it somewhere like jiffy lube and get the injection cleaning for $69. You could honestly do that yourself with some seafoam if you know someone who's worked at one of those places to show you how to run it through the intake... Just some suggestions to help...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NEW SYMPTOM,

Well now When I let off the gas the roms drop and almost stall, then come back up to idle then drop again and then even out for about 30 secs and drop again...After that it seems fine besides the 1000-2000 rpm shake

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well someone on PT said it could be the cv axles but I dont think it would cause a consistent vibrations, However they are bad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, the timing is I guess 13. It isnt exactly on the 10 mark and I have to turn the dial on my timing light to the thrid notch to get it to line up. would this be a problem?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts