Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple of sound installations in my car but, and I think this due to a lack of knowledge of the car, the people who installed the sound every time could never get the bass (subs) right.

I'm currently running 2 x Boston Accoustics Pro 10"

Do any of you know of the best way is to install these subs in my 6.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Give us a little more info, are the subs in an enclosure already and if yes what type and size enclosure.

What type of amp have you got to run them on and what sort of facilities has the amp got, e.g., crossover etc.

Can't understand quite what you mean by the previous installations not being right, explain a little about what you have not been happy with.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
First I had a Boston 12" in a band pass box and that sounded s$%t. Then they took the sub out and put it in a normal box facing backwards. Not too impressive either!

Then I bough 2 Pro 10" and imported a Zapco AG 600 6 channel amp, with built-in crossovers and stable to 1 ohm, which costs a 1/4 of the cars value in this county, ..... almost. Then they build the subs to face backwards again. Not even close too what I expected!

Then they build another box with the subs facing upwards, playing into the backboard, still not satisfied!

The people at the car audio shop says that the only way I will be able to get good bass out of my car is to cut and re-do the backboard, that I would never do.

Well, I sold the AG amp and the only one I have left to drive the subs is a Power Accoustik Hammer 560 4 channel amp. I'm hoping this would be enough for I'm sick of spending money and not getting any decent results.

So, I was hoping to find out from you guys if there is something that would work in a MX6.

Thanks again

PS. What is the general thought of Boston Accoustics in other countries. Over here it is considered as one of the best makes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Alright for starters those boston pros are great subs. Those subs love to be in a sealed enclosure. that was the first mistake of your installer. firing those subs towards the back of the car is the way to go. I don't remember how much power you said you had running to your subs but about 400 to 500 rms should be pleanty for both subs. Next did you buy the 4ohm or 8ohm subs and do you know if they hooked them up in parrallel. because if the subs are over or under working your amp you will get poor results. My suggestion to you is choose another shop if possible ask around to see who does the best work in your area. So that you are not blowing money. The sound reproduction in our cars is something to marvel at, granted it is not a crx but it can really make the ears happy if done properly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Boston's are cool, up there with the best of them.

As for your previous boxes... I keep saying it and people don't listen and I quote

"" Anyone or any designer who just reads the optimum settings from a computer program and makes a vented or band pass box based on those predictions, is going to produce a box that is basically crap, it might have a predicted bass response that looks great but it's transient response and power handling are probably awful. There are many shops out there that have loudspeaker design programs, well there are a lot of people who have a driving license, but can they drive.""

They ripped you off and I personally would be wanting to see some money come back my way.

If you want some real help designing a box for your speakers then email me direct, it is not a free service but it is cheap and it does get very good result.

checkout my website http://www.efmax.co.uk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts