Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my sub for about two weeks now and I am worried about losing my hearing. Most of the time I have the volume at a reasonable level and I hear a right combination of bass with the rest of the music but sometimes I just want to crank it up and feel the car shake but I am afraid because afterwards my ears ring for awhile afterward. What do you guys do when you crank up your systems? Do you grin and bear it or do you use protection? (earplugs)

·
Registered
84 Posts
hearing loss

LOL...yeah I know exactly what you mean. I normally don't listen to my stereo at anything less that 2/3 volume and every now and then I too experience ringing in my ears. Most of the time I just bear it, and I'm sure that I'm killing my ear drums in the process, but I don't have any serious hearing loss as of yet, Plus, you only live once. Right? I say enjoy the music while you can!!

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Back in times when I had 4 10" subs... Really played them loud! When I had always them pumping as hard as they would, I didn't have that ear ringing problem. But now when I have my 2 12" and I really don't play them loud more than about 5 min in week or so, after that the ear ringing occurs.

So what I'm trying to say, do it often and you won't have ear ringing problems. :)

Mici XO

Ps. I'm only jokin on the last one. It really damages your ears and if you want to hear something when you are a bit older, then you should keep the volume in reasonable scale.

G

·
ok this ones easy

yep your ears are getting screwed

1st thing that you have to know is that sub woofers are more or less pointless for whoever is driving the car unless you drive a limo, hearse or reallly long station wagon (or a bus) simply because the wavelength of bass frequencies are so long, that you have to be a fair way away from the source to hear it properly. thats why the people outside ya car hear it louder/bassier than you do. coz of this, you cant get a real good idea of how loud it really is so you can really be screwing your ears.

the ringing in your ears (tinittus) means that you've done damage to your ears. that sound is actually your brain recalibrating with you ear to account for hearing loss. it has strange ways of fixing things but most common is to patch up the frequency you've notched out through blasting the shit out of it in one ear, with the sound coming through the other ear of the same frequency, (assuming that ear works in that region). but basically, if you hear it a lot, you're well and truly rootin ya ears which is a bad thing.

anyway hope that scares you away from subwoofer, and please tell me your bought a decent one, not a stupid ported one note bass sh*tjob from sony/alpine/pioneer etc. etc.

cheers,

from me

ohhhh and earplugs are usually a bad thing unless they are properly moulded to your ear + have inbuilt volume attenuating diaphragms. and they cost about $200 a pop depending on were you get em

1 - 4 of 4 Posts