Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so ive been redoing my interior slowly.

and its time for the door panel and the rear panels ...
the old vinyl was coming off so im gunna redo them in brwn suade to match my headliuner...

just wondering how people manage to put new fabric back in and have it look seamless around the edges..

good help will be karmad .... thanks guys.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well when i did mine, i traced the original fabric pattern onto the new material "slightly bigger" then glued it together slowly starting from one side and working towards the other.Then trimmed excess material and tucked the edges into the panel with a flat screw driver gently.

Also if the material has a thick padding like cloth you can peel it off , thin material that stretches makes it much easier to work with on the panels.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man that seems like a reasonable task,.. when you trimmed it was it on the panel?

·
Registered
332 Posts
hi , yes i had most of the material glued down to the panel and just the edges to trim , i used a minora razor blade to trim it, works well.

U going to have to glew it in sections and stretch the material as you go along to get out ripples/creases. I've got pics of the end result in one of my recent threads.

·
Registered
332 Posts
oh and i think for the rear panels u don't have to tuck the edges in, if i remeber right the panel has screws behind and u can remove it and put new vinyl much easier . you just have to take the whole rear panel out to access it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
umm ya.. rear panels def do not have screws... the yahve a stupid system where the insert is like held in my plastic tabs that have been melted to hold... its rly dumb..

plus i already removed one side of teh rears.... idk really how im planning on reataching it... cuz there is nowhere to realy put screws.... there was a write up on how to make pvc liek glue if you break your plastic bits... i may try a method using that...

·
Registered
332 Posts
i think i managed to put some screws were those plastic clips go cause some were broken, i'll have a look this weekend end let you know.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol yes KP ... i need it ... i just have no time .. and car is in shop... keep it and i will come get it

·
Registered
332 Posts
i'll get pictures of it for you but i'm in the middle of exams right now so i'll only be able to get pictures in two weeks time

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no worries man ... any time is good... its nearly winter so i dont think much of what i want to get done is going to get done .. but o well.. ill drive the winter with half an interior. LOL

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
If anyone is interested I started this project as well. The leather comes off the door card quite easily in one peice, use that as a pattern to cut a new fabric and leave extra on the edges, and then glue it on, cut the excess and let it dry.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when u "cut" ///
do u cut with scissors then pry in the flat head.?

or whats the step for making it a clean looking fit

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I havent done it yet, but I am going to cut the new pattern a bout 3/4" larger than the current one that I removed. I will glue the whole thing down and tuck it into the crease, then I will go around the crease with an exacto/razorblade and make the cut. Remove the leftover edging, and wipe any wet glue that is still on the outer part from the edging and let dry.

So tuck it then make the cut. That way you are cutting when it is already rolled into the crease.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
k thats what i thought but it was kind of vague from prior responses...

but that was my original plan... i think it should be easyl... i just have no time since i dont live at home... where all my panels and stuff is ... O WELL future project.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts