Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my mx6, the guy the exaust manifold redone. I forget exactly what he said @ the time. I just took out the plugs. Cylinder 1 plug had carbon deposits. Cylinders 2 & 3 had carbon deposits on HALF the plug (like it was put on newspaper and sprayed only on one side.) Cylinder 4 plug had normal wear. The Plugs were NGK ZF6F-11, What would be some sweet plugs. (nothing too expencive)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Put some new NGK's in it. They are the best plug for our cars. Many people have tried the other brands with minimal results.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
yeah, regular ole NGK works the best. I've tried all the gimmicky plugs, including the Bosch +4's and none of them lasted as long or worked as well as the NGK's. On the turbo engine in particular, platinum plugs dont work very well. They just cant deal with the heat. Supposedly Denso Iridium plugs are supposed to be nice, but they're like $20 each. For spark plugs!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just changed mine with NGK V-Power plugs. They are basicly regular NGK plugs with a V in the electrode (the thing that stick out of the middle) I gapped them it .045/.046 and it runs nice and strong now. I also recommend changing cap and rotor.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i got my ngk v's for $1.59 at discount auto a week back, but i want to get NGK plug wires to go with them. i know corksport.com sells the wires for $27, but is there anywhere else that sells them cheaper?

also, would it make sense to change out the dist. cap and stuff like that along with changing the wires/plugs?

-meaty

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Ok, got all my stuff done, and the dealership sold me a set of plug wires (NGK) for 27.10 before tax, so its like, 29.00 even for them, so thats not too bad, i'm happy now, and so is my car now that it has new plugs/wires/dist. cap and rotor!

-meaty

·
Registered
512 Posts
The reason for gapping your plugs narrower to my understanding is to keep the car from missing. But, it gives a smaller burn not so much heat. A widder (Poniac - "wider is better") gapped has a higher chance of missing and will burn better and hotter. My turbo is only turned up to 10psi right now and everything seems fine. A/F gauge was (02 dead) reading rich and car isn't missing under heavy acclleration. So I'm going to run it for a thousand or so miles at .045/.046 and see how the plugs look. If I can go wider I will if not I'll close the gap a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts