Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 TX5 Turbo is due for another minor upgrade. I m wondering which is the better next step option?

1) Replace my stock cat convertor with a straight through one?

2) Woo's Chip?

My current mods are:
1) KNN Filter with cold air intake tube from side panel
2) Manual boost controller on 10psi
3) 2.25" straight through exhaust and muffler

thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Actually no.. My G1 MX6 was at that time incompatible with woos chip..

But I have been in 3 MX6s with the ECU and it is fantastic .. particularly with the manual boost controller..

It basically lets you run a higher boost .. wickedy wick wack.. ..lol..

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yeah, woos chip is very good for the money. your guarenteed aswell (money back) you'll like it. if u don't see it was worthwhile, tell barry and he'll give u ur money back, thats not going to happen with a cat.

but u will notice the difference, not as much as some people on here say so, but its definately worth the money.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
First mod should definately be 3" exhaust and boost controller. Thats more than enough to run a 14. I would definately do exhaust and boost controller first. After that probably time to start saving for a clutch unless you are lucky.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i would generally agree tim, except for the fact, he's only given us the options of a high flow cat to match his current 2.25" exhaust. if he was prepared to save a little and do full exhaust or even cat back 3" then yes tim, i definately agree with u!

but if hes talking about a 2.25" hi flow cat theres still going to be so much restriction in that exhaust anyway.
in which case ill stick with the woo chip

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah I would say woos chip first. Still something to think about with the exhaust, 2 1/4 might be good on an NA motor, but really for decent (proven) power on an f2t 2.5 or 3" definately seems to do the trick :)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
the ge i had had a 3 inch turbo back and a pod and it would hit boost cut with no othere mods..
prolly got to do somthing about the ecu both ways..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Mine ran fine with 3" exhaust and pod, about 9.5psi. Sure it didnt have a leak or someone had fiddled with the solenoid? I remember it was a modded car when you bought it correct?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Could have been.. it only started doing it with the pod..

It had an external bov :shrug:

It was turbo back and a test pipe for a cat..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah I have the original elbow soon which probably doesnt help. If I were keeping hte thing it would be one of the first things to go.

GotF2TinGD can admit to the difference a 3" exhaust makes, I see him reading this thread...

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
i had 2.5inch cat back exhaust resontor where cat is. 9psi boost k&n panel filter and i ran a [email protected] !

i need another 4psi boost a t28 aftermarket ecu and my cooler isntaleld :p

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
nah tim only 2.5inch cat back.

really unless you want to keep your car a long time etc and change turbosits no point to get the front pipe done

unlessu just want the littel bit more of power id reckoment the front pipe

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I originally went for 2.5" exhaust but I was also concern about too loud then attracts police. So the mufffler guy recommended 2.25", which I'm happy.
I called another muffler guy about doing a turbo back, he said it is no point unless I upgrade my stock turbo, and also upgrade my exhaust to 3".

This is why I came to the conclusion of either Woo's chip or replace a hi-flow cat.

I don't intend (at the moment anyway) to upgrade my exhaust to 3". I understand Woo's chip was designed for 2.5" to 3". Will it also benefit 2.25"?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
it will even benefit stock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts