·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 1000-1800 RPM the car won`t accelerate with a wide open throttle,
with partially open it pulls just fine
2000-4500 RPM everything is fine
at about 4500-5000 stumbles again

It all started suddenly not gradually as it would be when air/fuel filters clogs.
I looks like a vacuum leak, but I could not fine one.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Well Kotowan, depending on the engine and year, as you have not stated them in your question and your profile is not populated, have you tried to get any codes ? also check Vris 1 is open at idle.

Oddy.

·
Banned
420 Posts
my v6 95 mx6 is doin the same thing, it just started all of a sudden, it'll crank right up and idle just fine, if you slowly rev it'll go all the way to redline, but if you try to do it quickly it bogs and then u slowly let off and just before u come all the way off it'll rev agian. im thinkin its either vris #1 or my tps.

i would check those two items on your car to see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. We are talking about V6 1993. I have not tried to get codes yet. But I`ll check VRIS and TPS. I know how to check VRIS but not TPS.
How do I check TPS- scan codes? or get a new one?

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
It can't be the VRIS, because at some point, it is going to be stuck in the right position, which at means at some point, you should be able to floor it all the way. (Mine does the same thing, I just deal :shrug: keeps me from getting in trouble) Oh, and check your disty, i'm 99.99% positive that that is whats wrong with mine, i'm just too broke to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
baughb'smx6 said:
(Mine does the same thing, I just deal :shrug: keeps me from getting in trouble) Oh, and check your disty, i'm 99.99% positive that that is whats wrong with mine, i'm just too broke to fix it.
Actually, I have changed the distributor recently, and few days later it all started.Probably the new dist is bad, but this is the second new distributor that I tried

·
Banned
420 Posts
i changed mine like 2 months ago and i have a lifetime warranty on it, so im goin to have it checked out soon. how do u pull codes? i totally forget how to, cuz my engine light isnt on at all..... another problem im also havin is a can faul out a brand new set of plugs in like 10min, weither it be ngk v-powers, iridium, or bosch platinum's.

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
i can't remember on if its dif on OBDI, but on OBDII, if there's no CEL, there's no codes.

EDIT: what do your plugs look like when you pull 'em out? (EG color)

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
there are checks you can do on the distributor, but would require its removal to check correctly, but if you say this is your second distributor now, i do doubt it to be the cause.
Regarding codes, as the car is a 93, you will not have a CEL light and are using OBDI. You need to pull any codes using this ... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_m19.htm if your distributor is bad, there will be a code. Think this should be your next step now instead of us all speculating. Find out the codes if any, and post back.

Oddy.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i noticed mine does the same thing, though it has been doing it a long time before winter. i wonder if my vris fudging up cuz my engine will bog around 3200, 4600, and about 5300 depending on which gear i am in
IE: in fourth gear, i dont feel it kick in the 4000rpm range, but @ about 5200 the car pulls harder. in 5th will feel it kick around 4600 and bucks above 5200rpm

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Unless it's an OEM disty, I wouldn't go off and assume it's fine... non-OEM distys seem to fail more often than OEM units... and even still, an OEM could go bad.

I belive the Haynes manual has a test procedure for the disty, but I honestly don't think this is your issue.
It can't be the VRIS, because at some point, it is going to be stuck in the right position, which at means at some point, you should be able to floor it all the way.
I believe he said that all was fine between 2k and 4.5k? Not that these are the proper VRIS switchpoints, but it's certainly in the VERY rough ballpark... the tach has never been known to be that accurate anyway.

As for a TPS procedure, check my site for a detailed set of instructions on how to "tune" the TPS.

Have you had your timing belt replaced recently at all? How about a recent tuneup?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts