Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok currently im searching for all oil leaks around my car...
looks like my sump is leaking....
has anyone ever removed a sump?
seems like the driver side cross member is stopping me removing the sump plugs on that side... while it looks like i can remove teh others...
there is a plate on the transmission side, which i think you remove to get to the passenger side bolts

is this correct?

also is there gaket you can purcahse for the sump?
seems like it has been removed previoulsy and joined together with silastic...

any help apprecaited thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I thought my sump was leaking so I degreased it (after I changed the valve cover gasket) and I found out it wasnt leaking, it was just the oil that was seeping out of the vcg. Do this first.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
done that already..
degreased around teh sump, next day, i see some oil spots at the back and passenger side of sump..
hence why im asking...

rocker cover and cam/ crank seals have all been replaced

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
gearbox has to come off afaik not all the way but some of the bolts are unaccesable unles u do.

ask cam22t i asked the same question not that long ago to him.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any oil seals behind the engine?
above the oil filter?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe...
but if the head gasket was leaking, woudl there be any other problems?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
cam and crank seals done ok, there's still rear main seal, sump as you said, high doubt it would be head gasket, valve cover gasket, other than that, there's oil pressure switch oil cooler sandwich adapter, oil filter, turbo oil return line.

oh, gearbox doesn't have to come out for sump, u do have to drop your drivers k frame down on the front so it tilts, not completely remove.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
you can get a sump gasket, but it does make it very tight for hte bolts to go in the block properly, and yes otherwise its salastic used to join them, even with a gasket u will still have to do this, and in a particular way

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
ok, remove the flywheel inspection, 5 x 10mm bolts for those, then u can get the 2 x 10mm bolts on the rear main end.

Reactions: tomee

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LX SS said:
cam and crank seals done ok, there's still rear main seal, sump as you said, high doubt it would be head gasket, valve cover gasket, other than that, there's oil pressure switch oil cooler sandwich adapter, oil filter, turbo oil return line.
yeah my mate was saying something about the rear main seal...
what is taht and where abouts is it located...
heard it could be a pain to change?

karma for the info aswell....

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
tomee, you have to remove the box, the clutch and pressure pllate, flywheel.

the rear main seal is well umm the seal that goes around the crank at the back. whilst at it, change the spigot bearing and the rear welsh plug.

its something that i didnt want to do untilk my clutch went

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
feck... mines an auto
sounds like a big job...
how much would a workshop charge for this?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
fair bit, i've seen a workshop charge in excess of 500 for rear main because of the box removal

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn..
im guessing this rear main seal is under teh front passenger side wheel arch?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
The rear main seal is between the flywheel/flexplate and the block.

Now the only time you have to remove the gearbox to do the sump seal is on the alloy sump FE DOHC. (Thats what you miss quoted me on Gotf2tinGd)
On the F2T etc, you can drop the sump with the gearbox still attatched.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Ah must of got confused.

tomee take teh inspection plate off the gearbox and see if there is oil in there from the seal ? might be hard to see if ur sump is leaking :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts