Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sunroof opens fine, but is very...slow....to......close.
It's not so much of an issue during the colder months, but come summer it's gonna suck not to be able to drive around with a gaping hole in my roof. Obviously the motor's gonna need replaced, the last time I cracked the sunroof open I feared I'd never get it shut again. Any idea how much this'll cost me to get fixed?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Unfortunately the only place to get a replacement sunroof motor for our MX6's is either a junkyard or a Mazda Dealer. I'd go for a Mazda dealer with this one since you really wouldn't know what kinds shape the junked one has been through. Try calling a local Mazda dealer and get a price. As far as the install, I'm sure you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
475 Posts
FYI, In case the sunroof gets stuck open before u get a chance to pick up a new motor, u can always close it manually. Just check your manual and make sure you have that nifty little key like tool you need to close it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Do MX-6s come with the emergency close thing? I know that Proteges do, but I don't recall seeing such a reference in my MX-6 manual.

My sunroof button once broke...but that was a different story.

As for the motor replacement, I think the headliner must be removed and the motor is somewhere under $200.

Tyson
95 LS

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah they do come with an emergency close thing. There is plastic dish about 6 inches back from the sunroof. Pop that off and you'll see where to close up the sunroof manually. When I bought my car used, the wheel locks were in a plastic bag with the little tool thing used to close the sunroof in an emergency. It also had a small sheet with directions in english and japaneese for closing the sunroof in an emergency. It looks like it is definitley something easy to loose and wouldn't be surprised if y'all never even saw it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my sunroof just started doing that too...it's gets about 2/3 closed then SLOWS, but if i bring it back to half way and try again it will close fine...is this really the motor going bad or is it possibly wiring?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
LOL...you guys and your sunroofs (sunrooves?). im glad i have the BASE model! the only thing i desire off the LS is rear disc brakes... hmmm :idea:

·
Registered
44 Posts
same problem

Well, i have the same problem with my 94 mx6. It will open just find, then when it gets about 4 or so inches from closing, it starts petering out. I took it to the dealership, because it is under warranty, but my warranty wouldnt cover it because it is not the motor going out, but the wires that run it, or something like that. Anyway, it might not be your actual motor. And guess what, Its $970 to get it replaced at the dealership(at least the one near me). So what i would suggest is to just help it along all the way till it closes, thats what i do, and i still get to have the wind in my hair, and extra Grand in my pocket!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts