Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's where I'm at now:
headliner is out and I've removed the sunroof motor. I had a friend remove and carefully replace the motor 'cap' and he said it looked normal inside. I tried tapping on it with a screwdriver while pressing the open/closed button by the windshield--nothing.

I 'm going to hook a multimeter up to the contacts near the motor to see if it's getting enough juice to power it. Is it possible that the switch near the windshield is faulty? The sunroof never 'slowed-down' like a lot of others have experienced. It did 'freeze' a few times and I had to bump the headliner while pressing the open/close button and it finished it's cycle every time.

The fuse is good. Dammit, my a/c quit working a while back and I really need this to work again. How much does mazda want for a new one?

Any advice/tips are appreciated and welcomed.
thank you
jeremy gravley

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sorry to be off topic but I'm going to be removing my headliner to clear/regrease my sunroof motor and also to install a fubba antenna and need to know what exctly is involved in removing the headliner. Meaning, are there clips that hold it up that just needs to be pulled off or is there something else that hold that baby up there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have beer nearby...

Mine wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. This is ONLY a guide to give you an idea of what's involved. I'm not responsible for anyone's car...

Pry/pop the covers off the doohickies that hold the sunvisors on (2 per visor), then remove the screws and take them off.

pop/pry out the clear cover from the dome light assembly, remove the one screw holding it in, then the whole assembly pulls out. this scared me a little before it actually popped out. disconnect the 2 wire harnesses.

loosen/remove the rear-view mirror if you like. I didn't, but probably should have 'cause it got in the way.

pull both front seats up as far as they go, then lay them back as far as they can. this may optional to some of you, but i just laid them back and kicked my sandals off and crawled around on all fours in there.

peel the sunroof welting(sp?) off from around the roof opening and pull up on the edge of the headliner all the way around to un-latch the metal tabs (you'll see what i mean). you may only be able to unlatch most of it right now--that's okay.

unbolt all 4 seatbelts from the rear moldings. the covers snap loose _right next to the belt_ and hinge upward-not downward like they seem to do. just unbolt them and push them out of the way. pry loose the top of the windshield pillar moldings and then do the same for the rear panels (they pop out with a little breath-holding and finger crossing. you'll have to remove the coat-hook from the drivers' side and it was a bass-turd pulling it out after i removed the screw. somewhere up behind the rear panels at the top is a small black plastic plug that secures the headliner to the roof. there's one on each side (passenger and driver). you can see it fairly easy. a door panel tool would have been very useful here...

aside from manuvering that big-ass headliner out of a tiny car, that's it. remember to unhook the rest of the metal tabs on the sunroof if you haven't already.

I think I'm going to look for some dye or spray-paint to color my grey headliner black before I put it back in. First, I've got to fix/replace this dang motor.
:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks Jeremy for the detailed headliner removal instructions. I need to troubleshoot my sunroof sometime soon as well, and I've been putting it off because this procedures is not described in the Haynes manual, or on this board - until now. :D

Lately, my sunroof has lots of trouble closing. It seems to slightly go off the tracks (which are well lubed) about 4 inches from closing, causing the already weak motor to strain until it stops. Only repeatedly opening and closing while pushing hard on the sunroof will close it now. :(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
One thing to check....on mine, the $2 button (black piece) broke on the inside, making it not move the white plastic lever inside. It's something to check.

Tyson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts