Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my sunroof is on the fritz. Sometimes it works great, but increasingly often it's less responsive than my Great Aunt Mildred and I need to bust out the allen wrench to manually close my sunroof. If anyone's got a spare sunroof motor kicking around, I'd like to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunroof Broken

The motor for my sunroof will not close or fully open the sunroof. It is stuck have open. The sunroof motor has power, but is not doing anything. When I use the allen wrench to manually close the sunroof it is very difficult to turn and make a loud clicking sound and also does not move the sunroof. Any idea on what the problem is? How could I fix this myself? Thank you for any response!

·
Registered
2 Posts
half* open. Driving in the rain is not bad on the highway. It is those times when it is raining and I am in a residential area when I get wet!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try loosening the nut around the allen key, that relieves tension on the slip clutch in the gearbox there and makes it easier to turn the key. The other thing you might try is removing and reinstalling the motor (might as well clean out the old grease and apply new grease while you're in there), in case something got misaligned somehow.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You could try loosening the nut around the allen key, that relieves tension on the slip clutch in the gearbox there and makes it easier to turn the key. The other thing you might try is removing and reinstalling the motor (might as well clean out the old grease and apply new grease while you're in there), in case something got misaligned somehow.
I have some spare sunroof motors, kicking around. But first I would recommend running 12v directly to the motor from the battery and see if it moves properly all the time, it could be the wiring or controls that are making bad connections.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some spare sunroof motors, kicking around. But first I would recommend running 12v directly to the motor from the battery and see if it moves properly all the time, it could be the wiring or controls that are making bad connections.
It works intermittently. I think the brushes are worn or otherwise not making a good connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you still sunroof motors I'm having a hell of a time finding one.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Do you still sunroof motors I'm having a hell of a time finding one.

Yes I do, Jordan.H, your car is an 88-92 MX6 and not a second generation correct.
Would you be interested in a trade? I want to buy 16$ worth of automotive bulbs from bulb world but they want 50$ to ship them to Canada, I would trade the motor for the cost of the bulbs and deduct your shipping costs from the motors shipping to you cost and pay you the difference. If not than 30$ + shipping for the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I do, Jordan.H, your car is an 88-92 MX6 and not a second generation correct.
Would you be interested in a trade? I want to buy 16$ worth of automotive bulbs from bulb world but they want 50$ to ship them to Canada, I would trade the motor for the cost of the bulbs and deduct your shipping costs from the motors shipping to you cost and pay you the difference. If not than 30$ + shipping for the motor.
Unfortunately mine is a second generation, 93-97.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts