Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been told that the MX6 2nd Gen has a comman problem with the sunroof.

Aparantly the roof can experience not closeing, not opening, sticking etc...

Has anyone 1st & 2nd Gen owners had any of these problems? and how did you solve them?

I know mine sticks at times when closeing.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My sunroof sometimes does not open durning cold weather. I have to push the button to open at the same time pushing the sunroof up to the tilt. Then it works. I don't have problems closing the sunroof.

I also spay WD40 on all moving parts which helps to looses the parts.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way does anyone know what the costs are for repairing damaged sunroofs etc, and where the smurf do you go to get it done?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yep, my friends gen 2 has "cold weather, roof cant open" syndrome. have to give it a little push

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'll third that... had the same problem today. I'll go for a lube stick tomorrow morning... can't have it sticking on the cruise now!

Jerry (prober) will be interested in your Ringwood Rubber experience Woo - he's been looking for some satisfaction for ages after importing an mx6 sunroof from the us - which came without rubber.

G

·
ricdanger said:
I'll third that... had the same problem today. I'll go for a lube stick tomorrow morning... can't have it sticking on the cruise now!

Jerry (prober) will be interested in your Ringwood Rubber experience Woo - he's been looking for some satisfaction for ages after importing an mx6 sunroof from the us - which came without rubber.
Actually ric, the roof I imported from the US is out of a Ford Probe GT. The assembly is basically Mazda made though.
Sorry if I confused you with my excitement over the install.

I purchased the rubber surround for my moonroof panel for $150 AUD which is unavalable here.

The MX6 and Probe share the same moonroof assembly with the exeption being the moonroof panel.
There are 4 drainage tubes by the way and not 2. One for each corner of the roof.

G

·
Woo said:
Hi Jerry :)

Was that AU$150 for the felt and rubber or just the felt?
Coz when I was hassleing Bill Thompson (Ringwood Rubbers) he had the "C" section as well. He actually tried to sell me it but I really only needed the felt.

Is that 4 drainage holes on the Probe only?
I could only find the 2 on my 1st gen, they drain down to the front wheelwells.

Wòó

The moonroof assembly I am referring to is for the 2gen MX6.

The $150 is just the rubber surround which is all that is used on the moonroof panels. Its quite a large piece of rubber which tucks into the panel.

The Moonroof assembly which is for the 2gen MX6 and PRobe requires 4 drainage tubes. I know becuase I installed them and I still need to install the roof lining unfortuantely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i feel the pain

yeah i had probz with my MX6 sunroof.... it just didnt want to open up one time, no warning or any thing . one day it was ok then the next it was stuffing up!!.....

solution: i sold it!! and bought a new car!!.... i couldnt take it anymore....
:mad:

that was just one of my many probz......

i was sad to see the MX go.... actually i miss her!?!? XO

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I had sum trouble opening my SR .I used to have to push it up .I just lobed up my sun roof drive assembly with some chain oil, the stuff you get for a motor bike chain, it comes in a spray can.
And some armour all on the seal. And now it is tip top ..
PK

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my sunroof is worse now, it makes loud crunching sound when I open it....

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
What! since you lubed it ?
Did you adjust/bend any thing on the track?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didnt touch anything apart from lube....the thing begins to grind...

Well Ill get Custom Sunroofs to take a look at it and see what they can make out of it, ill do it just before the summer hits in.

G

·
VooDoo said:
Didnt touch anything apart from lube....the thing begins to grind...

Well Ill get Custom Sunroofs to take a look at it and see what they can make out of it, ill do it just before the summer hits in.
Any updates on the moonroof ordeal ??

G

·
just to annoy everyone - i have no problems with mine :)

the most i do is every week when i wash it and i have the rags out - after cleaning inside the vents etc - i open the sunroof and wipe the tracks etc clean - every week - and not a drama ever :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yep, no problems with my sunroof either, and I haven't touched the tracks in 8 years ! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts