Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Sunroof Problems

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KenF 
#1 ·
My sunroof isnt closeing properly, at times with about an inch left to close it stops and i have to reverse the roof for a second and then try to close it, any ideas what it could be, and how do i go about removeing the roof so I can take a look at what I can do????

G
#3 ·
sunroof

Hey try the simple stuff first. Take some grease (thick so it won't drip down into the car) and wipe all the sliding parts. Check to see if the pop up wind deflector is getting in the way or sticking. you can oil the hindges on the sunroof and deflector, just be careful of dripping.

#4 ·
I had the same problem and I had the dealership grease the tracts. There is a special grease that they use as it is considered regular maintanance. If it is cold where you are it might not notice it at first, but as soon as it warms up you won't have any problems closing your moonroof. My dealership did it for free, but they charged 700 for two struts.

#5 ·
The weather hear in Australia is warm, regardless of the weather condition im having problems.
The biggest isssue is one of these days im going to get stuck with the Sunroof open and its going to start raining..
I have greased the rails etc, but im trying to figure how do i get access to the motor and other un-see-able parts.

#6 ·
From what I understand, to get acess to the motor you have to drop the headliner and it is near the rear window.

G
#7 ·
I have the EXACT same problem. In fact, it is funny all of the problems I have seen listed on this page, because it seems my MX-6 is prone to them all.

Anyway, mine would start to slow down and stop moving sometimes YEARS ago (bought my 94 brand new, now has 108K on it.) I greased it and it got a little better, but it does it all of the time now. I generally use my hand and assist it when it closes. Sometimes it closes but it is a little off... It closes with a snap sound and is not perfectly seated. I then have to open it and close it again. Not much of a 'fix', but that's what I do.

#8 ·
Exactly what Im experiencing....
It sounds like its a common problem, but it doesnt look like there is a common solution.
If anyone does have a solution to this problem let me know because Im a little hesitant to using the sunroof now.

- Darko

#9 ·
Everyone has or will have this problem with their sunroof. The motor is really expensive (surprised?) but if the unit is maintained it shouldn't go bad. Don't strain the motor.

The sunroof mechanism is pretty complicated. Requires removal of headliner and sunroof panel from the rails. It looks like an afternoon job to take apart, clean and re-lube it all. The Mazda service manual details the disassembly, assembly and adjustment procedures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.