Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any experience working on the sunroof? I have a 94' and my sunroof scares me... I try not to use it because I fear it may get stuck open. I would really love to get it working smoothly again, just not sure if it is worth taking in. If it is something I can do I'm all over it!!!

So, any feed back from anyone who has had it a part would be great.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I've taken mine apart, from the motor to the rails, to trying to fix individual parts on the rails themselves. If you take your headliner off including the part that's clipped in to the sunroof, you can see how the whole system works. after that, 4 screws will take the sunroof panel off and you can see the rails and how they go up and back.

the problem with my sunroof rails was it was supposed to go up first and have enough clearance before the sunroof went back. it wasn't doing this correctly and as I looked, there was a part on the rails that was bent to crap. don't know how that happened, but must have been the previous owner. I eventually ended up swapping the rails, etc. from my parts car to my current mx6.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have to push mine up while I'm closing it for it to go forward and close...haven't had time to pull it apart yet.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
when i replaced mine, i actually tried swapping the motor first, and that didn't help it open any better. for me, it was the actual rail itself that was bent up. most of the time, i don't think it's the motor as when I took it apart, that motor looks pretty beefy

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
not very hard at all. once the headliner is off, it's a matter of 6 nuts and disconnecting the sunroof drains. one in each corner and 2 in the back near the rear window. it's a bit bulky and 2 people maneuvering it out of the car will help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the rapid replies!! though this is my 2nd 2g mx6 I am new to this forum. I love this car I can't even tell you why. It is nice to see others that feel the same way.

I will take a stab at the sunroof this week and let you know what I come up with.

Unfortunatly, I had to drop it off at the shop today. Radiator and hoses $740 ?? Could that be right?

Anyway, anyone know a good headliner source? If I am going to have it off might as well replace it, right. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
740 for a radiator and hoses? are they gold plated? sounds fishy to me

Thank you for all the rapid replies!! though this is my 2nd 2g mx6 I am new to this forum. I love this car I can't even tell you why. It is nice to see others that feel the same way.

I will take a stab at the sunroof this week and let you know what I come up with.

Unfortunatly, I had to drop it off at the shop today. Radiator and hoses $740 ?? Could that be right?

Anyway, anyone know a good headliner source? If I am going to have it off might as well replace it, right. Thanks again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i am worried about opening my sunroof to it opens just fine but then sometimes wont close and after a little bit of messing with it it will start to close but i then have to push it the last couple inches to close completly looks like i will take it apart and look at the rails

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if you take your sunroof off, it'll take some of the load off the rails/motor. you can take off the sunroof with the sunroof closed. can WD40 the rails just in case and see if it'll open and close with the button

i am worried about opening my sunroof to it opens just fine but then sometimes wont close and after a little bit of messing with it it will start to close but i then have to push it the last couple inches to close completly looks like i will take it apart and look at the rails

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
740 for a radiator and hoses? are they gold plated? sounds fishy to me
kind of what I thought...
$450 for the radiator, coolant system flushed, and installed with warranty
$250 plus labor for hoses including bypass hoses.
plus tax equals $733

these are all great ideas, i think while i have the headliner off i will recover it. Any suggestions on what kind of fabrics to use/ not use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey i have the same problem as almost everybody i have to push it up so it can open but the motor works. i wanna fix it myself since it still works. can somebody help.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Clean the slide rails real well and give them a good shot of silicone spray. You could also remove the sunroof and make cleaning much easier.

The sunroof rails that actually move the sunroof are made from plastic. Mine are actually notched/cracked, which causes it to open and close funny occasionally.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i think wd-40 and silicone spray go a long way toward making the sunroof keep
working smoothly....that black piece of plastic in the front that helps to push up
the sunroof panel works better too with wd-40 in the scissors mechanism

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 95 Mazda MX6. Last year, during summer time my sunroof had a hard time trying to close that i had to push up while pressing the switch button in order to get it to close completely.
Now my sunroof completely stop working. Its a little open, open enough for water to get in. And my sunroof switch is loose as well..
I need help on how to remove the sunroof in order to get the motor.....and for the switch would i need a new one?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have never tried it, but there is supposed to be a crank mechanism that will permit the sunroof to be closed by hand cranking. And
it is supposed to be under the header somewhere. I think you have to take the header off.

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
You have to remove the headliner to get to the sunroof mechanicals. I've had mine out a few times and don't remember any hand crankable option, but it has been a few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So recently bought a 1995 Mazda mx-6 ls and the sunroof doesn't work previous owner said it was the motor, ive searched for one online but can't seem to find one. Can anyone help or explain why I can't find it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts