Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been thinking about the advantages with a turbo compared to the advantages with a supercharger. i talked to a guy at one of the local performance shops here in town and he told me that the hp and power will not be signifigantly different and that the special handling/ mods that would have to be done would all run around the same for both. can anyone gimme their insight on this and also what prices has anyone gotten on turbo/superchargers for the 6. i was quoted around 3 grand for each

·
Registered
488 Posts
3 grand for the turbo is not realistic. Most of the guys who have done it have spent closer to 5 grand. 3 is about the minimum for a S/C. Expect to spend more on both with the time it takes for tuning, and all the little problem that come up.

G

·
5 grand is way too much. I can get a full supercharger kit for under 2 garnd easy. U just have to have the right connections. But i guess thats the pay for being in love with cars ever since i was 6.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They're both expensive prospects, if you intend to do them properly. The turbo provides a better overall potential, but to realize that potential you'll be spending more on parts. The super has a fixed psi output (due to a pulley size), but it provides instant power, no spool up time or turbo lag. It all depends how far you want to go. If 6 or 7 lbs of boost is all you want, the s/c may be your best option. If you want some serious power, get the turbo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
in my opinion, the BIGGEST advantage of the s/c is the install time. do a search and you'll read about some extreme headaches with the install of a turbo. the s/c kit is completely bolt-on. you should be able to bang it out in an afternoon. i know of people who were without PGTs and MX6s for WEEKS for a turbo install.
but if you want potential, expandability, or plan to build up the engine internally for pro drag racing, go turbo.
if you want a REAL KICK ASS STREET CAR, go s/c. then just do all the possible other bolt ons too (headers, exh, test pipe, cai, port&polished int manifold, t/b, phenolics, clutch, light flywheel, etc).
this should yield AMAZING times still and help you win those light to light races.

my estimate says with those bolt ons and 7-9psi, you'll have about 265-285hp at the flywheel(225-245wheel). that'll do a number on most v8's and smoke ANY honda without forced induction or nos, amoungst other cars.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
48 Posts
I disagree... I think a turbo is better for the street. The install is more of a headache, but that is more of a matter of preparation and ensuring that the shop is on top of the project.

In actual use, an SC is spinning at all times and represents a direct load on the engine. Since its RPM depends on the engine's RPM you generally have to tune for a particular RPM value and everywhere else is sub-optimal. Boost from an SC is a function of RPM only. They also tend to be more unreliable because of the potential for mechanical failure of the belts and what-not.

Turbos, on the other hand, spin quickly up to the desired speed and then the wastegate dumps any excess so that the turbo stays at its optimal speed. There is no parasitic drag from a turbo, and if done right the increase in back pressure is negligable so off-boost behaviour is largely unaffected. There is only one moving part, and its two halfs aren't in mechanical contact with anything (assuming you don't suck anything up the intake or break any engine pieces off) so they'll last quite a while. The larger amount of exhaust plumbing causes some heat issues and this can reduce the life of underhood parts unless you pay serious attention to cooling.

When racing the engine generally stays in a narrow power band, thus an S/C can be tuned for that band. On the street you use the whole RPM range, so a turbo serves better overall. A turbo won't break a belt, but you'd better pay attention to cooling the engine bay.

People have had success either way. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
257 Posts
good point indeed. there's also a few other variables too like what size turbo and what type of s/c. either one can be tuned for street or race. from what i know, TKT's s/c kit is quite versatile and has a wider power band than the turbo. that's as per Jeff Knight himself. and still, if $ is a concern, the s/c kit can easily be installed yourself if you're somewhat knowledgeable. the turbo will cost quite the pretty penny to have installed.

but as with anything, proper tuning will result in happiness :D

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
or for that price you could have your engine built. that could give you 250-300 HP depending on how much you wanted to spend. you do it reliably too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts