Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone .. i am going to be putting a jackson racing supercharger on my MX-6 i was wondering if you could let me know what kind of upgrades i should also do tomy car with adding this supercharger?? please help me out thanks ..when i am done i will post picks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
what psi are you going to run. that will depend on how much bottom end you need to work on. oh yeah, how many miles do you have on your car.

i think the stock 03 can handle 6-8psi with no problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supercharger

i think i am going to run like 5 psi .. thats what someone told me i should run .. i have about 88 k on my 93 .. so .. what else u think ?? let me know thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Upgrade the fuel pump, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, replace the clutch now, add a boost gauge and an air/fuel meter, have the engine compression tested, fix any oil leaks and minor problems that you have now before the become major problems later. Set aside money to have it properly tuned and tested on a dyno.

That's all I can think of off hand but there is more. Figure out how much money and time you will need to do it and then double it to cover any unexpected prioblems.

And finally post the final redults, both pictures adn dyno plots for us to see.:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supercharger

where can i find these upgrades ?? like the fuel pump and regulator ? i am curious ?please LMK thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
upgrades

if you haven't done it already, you may also want to add larger diameter exhaust piping. Forced induction cars do better with 3 inch piping usually.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
do you have to relocate the battery in the truck if you get a SC?

how about intake manifold, port and polish(stage 5 maybe)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i am going to have to relocate the battery to the trunk and then i have to mount the SC wherethe battery was and then i have to go from there.. where can i find the high performance fuel pump and other upgrades of that sort ?? please LMK guys thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Slipknot69 said:
yeah i am going to have to relocate the battery to the trunk and then i have to mount the SC wherethe battery was and then i have to go from there.. where can i find the high performance fuel pump and other upgrades of that sort ?? please LMK guys thanks
I'm sure you could find answers to all these questions and more at http://www.probetalk.com in the forced induction forum.

·
Registered
734 Posts
you can change the boost by a different diameter pulley and/or a different charger "nose". You'll HAVE to run alt least 91 or 92 Octane fuel, and NO MATTER WHAT!! make sure that your engine is in good condition because compressing hot air will wear on your engine life bad if you have build ups on and in your fuel system and engine...

·
Registered
148 Posts
how much?

How much coin are you putting down for the sc? Just curious 'cause I'm getting one from knight turbos ( http://www.geocities.com/knightturbos/ ) for 4k actually less but he gives the cooler, exhaust system... basically everything but the fuel pump and low end components and clutch if you need them. Me... I'm gonna get a used KLZE and rebuild the whole thing with forged units, port the heads.... might even get a 6spd made... I'll be pushing 15psi though so I HAVE to go with forged units, racing clutch... everything revamped to kick serious ass... In all will be about 4x's the car's worth. 12k if I'm lucky... wonder what the insurance company will say.... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Running 15 psi on a KLZE isn't going to happen -- the compression ratio on the ZE is 10:1. If you run that much boost through it, even intercooled, you will probably have auto detonation problems unless you run so chokingly rich that you won't get any power. Delivering that much fuel is a real challenge, however, so you'll most likely run lean and slag the motor well before that.

With forced induction on the KL03, the first challenge is adequate fuel delivery. The second is controlling heat. If you don't keep those two under control you won't even be able to run 6 psi.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anything is possible with the right stuff and know how. How do you think they get that wicked HP from the civc's? Talk with Thomas, he's one that HAS done this before and it's not new to him and hasn't had any probs as long as the right mods have been done.... he's the one that suggested 15psi with a vortec for that 350hp to the wheels... read his page.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You've got me confused with Mike or Obnox, Greg. I've got fuel problems at 4 psi! I'm now pretty sure my VAF is bad, however, so hopefully the MAF conversion next week will correct the problem. Then I ought to be able to drop in the high flow injectors and get 7-8 psi of boost out of it. Obnox is the one with the stroked 626, and he's running around 10 psi of boost making about 340 hp... and he's also not happy with how it runs.

Gene/=/Splicer: anything is not possible. There is this little thing called physics that will get in your way. Civics typically run low compression pistons to achieve high boost levels -- the KLZE has a higher compression ratio than the KL03, so you're going in the wrong direction. Civics also have a simple log-style manifold with only 4 cylinders so they can use throttle body injectors without worring too much about fuel distribution among the cylinders. High powered Civics also tend to replace the engine management and run high flow low impedance injectors (which they can get for their engines).

I have talked to Thomas, and so have many others. He is an excellent salesman, but many people have had issues with his kits and advice. He has built up some many KL03s but the ones making 15psi and greater than 300 hp have had MAJOR surgery and usually run race gas (or at least 94 octane). Don't expect to plunk down $4K and drive away with a nicely refined 350hp MX-6 -- it won't happen. You'll have a finiky cantakerous beast with a tendancy to blow itself up or at least soak up your paycheck.

I don't have anything against this forum, but you should wander over to the Forced Induction forum at ProbeTalk -- there seems to be a much larger collection of boosted KL03 owners over there, and there is a huge archive of very informative threads waiting for your perusal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts