Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this question might have alreadybeen asked but is there any company that makes a turbocharger or supercharger for a 4cyl 6 or a v6 mx6?just wondering..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
min. you can do a supercharger or turbo for is about 4000 dollars. But that doesn't include other things you should replace when you put that much HP to the wheels, like a racing clutch, limited slip differential, etc. Oh, it doesn't include labor either :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
As noted above its much more than the cost of the turbo/sc. When its all said and done you might have invested more than the kit having it installed, tuned, and adding other pieces to hold up with the new break neck mods.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i would do s/c if you plan on staying as a street car. a KICK A$$ street car. the instal time is 6-8hrs. you can probably do it yourself in an after noon or a weekend. the turbo is VERY difficult to install. you probaly CANT install it yourself. it takes trained techs a FEW DAYS to do it with all the right tools. and they both make similar power.

if you plan to do up the internals of the motor and want serious race potential, do turbo. greater end potential.

you may also wanna consider just getting the s/c install kit (no blower) from TKT and getting a blower yourself. i plotted that out and it ended up saving about $800 bux!! with a vortech. i wanna meke sure the install kit really does have EVERYTHING you need 'cept the blower first tho.

bottom line is even if you pay to have it installed, the install $ will be MUCH less on the s/c kit.

hope this helps
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing to think about, while blumx6 is right about the install time for the s/c being less than the turbo, the turbo is less likely to need "fixing" shall I say on a regular basis. It can be said that a s/c is better for street driving because there is no turbo-lag, and hence off-the-line (off the red-light) times are better. A turbo is better suited for achieving good 1/4 mile times at higher speeds. It's really up to you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
mmmm...hmmmm. true indeed bullet.
the FEEL of the two is very different too. a s/c'ed engine just feels like a bigger, stronger, smoother, more powerful engine. a turbo gives a real kick. like vtec times ten. a semi- downside due to the powerband. this will, of course, fluctuate with different turbos and tuning tho.

weigh your options thoroughly. its a LOT of $$$$ either way.

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts