Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone im new to the site...and im hoping that you all can help me out???? I used to be a civic tuner freak with all the best known mods you can think of... but now i have switched over to the Probe and MX6's because i was hooked and amazed about thier HP potential...

my first question is .... i have a KLDE engine im working on ... and i was wondering what is the max P.S.I boost the engine can hold on Stock internals? so i can start making adjustments...

and my second question is im looking to do a supercharger (from Thomas Knight ,Eaton Supercharger) up top and then the basic T3/T4 Turbo set up through the headers , can it be done.?.. i have seen this similar set-up done on this VW GTI. im still researching this set up .. im trying to do something unique.. so help me out guys ... i would greatly appriciate it.

PS: THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE MY DAILY DRIVER LOL ... strictly track driven

·
Registered
941 Posts
thats pretty high on a de i think, im only doing 6 intercooled but its my dd so i cant really risk running high boost and blowing my engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE:Supercharger/turbocharger set up?

Thanks Turk and guitardude1568 for the info .... but beside the T3/T4 any other turbo's you guys would recommend...???

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
well t3/t4 isnt particular turbo......to pick out a turbo u need to know how much power you want, when you want it and how much money you gonna spend

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
for some reason i always thought that anything over 8psi is risky on the stock guts.

no way 12 lol.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
12psi is the majik spot.

Ive run up to 14psi.. Figured I put this much $ into it, might as on have some fun. I got spare motors..
Building the motor up often cost more then just boosting it. Even with a built motor your weakest link is the trans. You can run 15psi as safe as you want, but that doesnt mean the trans will take it. And that will cost more then the motor to build up.

IMO, boost a different car :shrug:

·
Registered
134 Posts
IMO, boost a different car :shrug:
Best advise you will get.

I had a supercharged 2.5L probe, and it was fun. I was always worried about braking stuff even though I only ran 6psi. I built the kit myself, see here:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-forced-induction/181562-my-s-c-setup.html

It's FWD and that alone makes things that much more difficult. The transmision DOES NOT handle power adders all that well. Any boosted KL owner will tell you that. The aftermarket/support is down the tubes as well, let's face it, it is a 10+ year old platform.

That's why I am about to boost my new toy, a 2006 350z.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
my friend with a turbo v6...then bought a klze and threw a turbo on (full megasquirt and many, many other mods) has gone through 9 or so transmissions in the last year and a half. These transmissions for the 2nd gen were not meant to hold alot of power. If anything i would make sure you could get a stronger tranny with maybe stronger gears in it first unless you like swapping them out.

1st gen mx6s on the other hand, their transmissions are built to love boost. I believe its one of the stronger mazda transmissions made at the time.

In all reality, i bought my mx6 GT for 800 bucks (running 15 lbs of boost) and thats cheaper than you could turbo your 2nd gen for if you wanted to do it right. 1st gen mx6 running 15 lbs is good for mid 14's in the 1/4 .
Just a suggestion.

BUT turbo klze's are very fun cars too. My friends is insanely fast. The only problem is its not very reliable.

Good luck with your decision though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your help and information , you guys are good . like i said before this my first time working with the KL series engine. but imma keep doing research and i do plan on changing some internals . mainly those Rods for sure . yeah my boy already told me about the weak tranny .. but i may just by a spare engine from JDM Engine Depot.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
its just not an ideal car to put boost on. Its fun and it can turn out some power. But it also cant handle it very well. By that I mean you might be lucky to get more then a yr of daily thrashing on it before something goes to hell. Some people have more luck then others..depends on driving habits. But its definetly not a drag platform, unless you like doing swaps.

One thing I would have done differently was got a car worthy of making big power on. But Ive alwase been attached to the style of the mx6. Might have to consider a custom engine/trans swap someday if gas doesnt get to outrageous

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I dunno man, ive almost had mine for a year now and am not shy to get on it. Havent had one real turbo related(as in caused by boosting) yet. No drag racing though, I think that does it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So are you looking to twin-charge? or just turbo. Right now I'm running 14-15psi on a stock block, with a .57 trim turbo, and just made my supercharger inlet box/tube to run them together. It's a m62 and was/will be mounted where the ac is.....

John

And yes, I have been through two third gears....... best turbo time is [email protected] witha crap 2.1 60' That's about 14psi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i wanna do the twin charge set up ... but i am looking to buy the mx6/ probe turbo kit but not using the t3/t4 turbo ... im a looking to use the T04Z turbo.. with the correct housing which i know where to find.. i used to have that same turbo on my 90 MK3 Supra... but im still researching ..and working on what to use.. im just trying to do something unique.. anyone know a website where i can find millenia S injectors?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts